View Single Post
Old 04-06-2023, 12:13 PM   #81
Critch
lolzcat

2036/37 Playoffs Round 1 - Vancouver Canucks
Post Season time again, this is the seventh time in a row. This time it's Vancouver Canucks, first time we've played them in the playoffs, mainly because they only make it about half the time despite having had one the best players in the league (Connar Beddard) for a dozen years. I'd been thinking of changing the playoff settings away from divisional seedings to conference seedings so we could have the glamour of Nashville or Minnesota in the playoffs instead of Seattle and Calgary over and over, so Vancouver are a nice change.

Vancouver finished 3rd in the Pacific, 10 points behind Anchorage. Main difference being we finished with four straight wins and they finished with three straight loses, so it's closer than 10 points. Connor Bedard is still their best player, he wins League MVP most years and probably will this year since he got 114 points in 82 games. No sign of a post-age of 30 downturn for him yet.

Game 1 - Vancouver Canucks 4 Anchorage Huskies 2
No injuries for Anchorage going into the playoffs. Going by prior years Henry Mews should bite the dust at some point though, he loves a week or two out of office during the playoffs. No scoring in the first, Vancouver take the lead with a power play goal 48 seconds into the second period from Mason Kadatz. David Prudek scores for Anchorage (he's on the top line now, it's been a season of change for Anchorage), but Mason Kadatz scores another. Anchorage equalize again, Kaden Price at 17:21, and we're level going into period 3. Vancouver take the lead at 14:28 (Robin Pettersson) and add a power play goal late on (Zachary McKenzie 18:03) and we're 1-0 down. A very balanced game except Vancouver took advantage of their power plays and Anchorage didn't.

Game 2 - Vancouver Canucks 3 Anchorage Huskies 6
No changes from game one, same players dressed, same lines set. 5:18 it's 1-0 Anchorage from Enzo Landrey, he's also top 6 now and been great. 29 regular season goals for our 21 year old Center. Kaden Pitre makes it 2-0 at 8:11. Vancouver race back and tie it up though before Jordan Gavin scores at 19:04 to give Anchorage a 3-2 lead after one period. It's 4-2 at 5:20 (Enzo Landrey again), 4-3 at 16:20 (Cole Jodzio for Vancouver), 5-3 at 18:54 (Urho Mattila with his first of the series). Enzo Landrey finishes off his hattrick at 6:08 and the series is tied at one.

Game 3 - Anchorage Huskies 3 Vancouver Canucks 2
Despite the scoreline looking close, Anchorage steamrolled them here. Out shot them 38-16, high danger chances 8-2. Jeff Martin put Anchorage ahead in the first, Denis Mirchink tied it up in the second. Jeff Martin with his second at 6:01 puts Anchorage ahead, Matt Pankratz with another power play goal for Vancouver to tie it up at 11:40. Twenty Six seconds later Borje Svensson gets the game winning goal and Anchorage are in the series lead.

Game 4 - Anchorage Huskies 2 Vancouver Canucks 1
After dominating game three, game 4 is very even but Huskies goalie Lucas Wall makes the difference. 27 saves on 28 shots. Brendan Rudolph puts Vancouver ahead unassisted 18:44 into the first period. Second period Jordan Gavin scores a power play goal at 8:48, the Anchorage power play goes 1 for 1 for the game. Oskar Vuollet adds a second at 14:26 and that's all that's needed. Vancouver have a couple of power plays in the third but no goals and we're back to Anchorage 3-1 up in the series. Still no sign of a goal or assist from Connor Bedard, hope he doesn't wake up.

Game 5 - Vancouver Canucks 2 Anchorage Huskies 5
Fifth game in a row with no injuries and no changes for Anchorage, I think that's a record. Connor Bedard wakes up and gives Vancouver the lead at 9:04 in the first, David Prudek ties it up 12 seconds later. 44 seconds later Mikhail Gulyayev puts Vancouver back into the lead and it's 2-1 at the end of the first. Enzo Landrey shows he belongs as a top six center, he scores and the game is 2-2 at 17:26 in the second. Third period Anchorage kill them off. Borje Svensson at 0:19, a Jordan Gavin power play goal at 18:47 (half his goals seem to be power play goals. I should check that, the game seems to track every stat), and Henry Mews adds a late empty net goal and Anchorage are off to round two.

I'm not sure if it's new in the latest patch or if I just never noticed before but there's now a tab on the boxscore screen that shows the ice position of all the shots. I like that.

I mentioned earlier that we seem to play Seattle in the playoffs every year, next round will be Seattle Kraken yet again. The other side of the Western Conference is Atlanta v Nashville. Over in the east it's Toronto v Nova Scotia (I'm not sure what they're doing right, but the other expansion teams are finishing last while Nova Scotia have made the playoffs each year) and Hartford v Columbus. Reigning Stanley Cup champions Pittsburgh Penguins missed the playoffs, they finished 9th in their division.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote