View Single Post
Old 04-09-2023, 03:13 PM   #83
Critch
lolzcat

Missed my second Caps game of the season last night. First game I missed because I went to see America in concert instead, last night I went to see Mickey Dolenz in concert instead. He was good, but I preferred America.

And on to the update:

2036/37 Playoffs Western Conference Finals - Atlanta Thrashers
For the second year in a row it's Atlanta Thrashers in the Conference final. Last year it was Anchorage winning in seven and going on to lose the Stanley Cup Final, I'm betting this year will be Atlanta's time for revenge. Incidentally I'm writing this before simming, I do know the result and just predicting that to look prescient.

Just like last year, Atlanta have more top end talent than anybody else in the league. Four 5 star players (LD Louis-Joseph Boutin, C Brandon Gorzynski, RW Rasmus Rinne, RW Braiden Scuderi), a selection of 4 star players. And they've got home advantage for the series. It's going to be tough.

Game 1 - Anchorage Huskies 0 Atlanta Thrashers 4
No injuries for Anchorage, everybody is at 100%. The week rest since the last series has been well timed. Scoreline looks bad but it was closer than the 4-0 looks. Atlanta went 1-0 up in the second period from Louis-Joseph Boutin, added a second late in the third from Brandon Gorzynski, then two empty net goals in the last 36 seconds, both from Braiden Scuderi. So quite close really, right?

Game 2 - Anchorage Huskies 2 Atlanta Thrashers 5
This one wasnt as close as the last one, Atlanta outshot Anchorage almost 2 to 1 (40-21), well on top. Add to that that I said Henry Mews always takes some time off injured during the playoffs for an injury. Looks like this year it'll be a suspension, a 5 minute boarding major in the first period, they normally end up with a suspension. No scoring in the first despite the 5 minute major and a 2 minute minor for David Prudek too, Rasmus Rinne puts Atlanta ahead at 5:18 in the second but Jordan Gavin makes it 1-1 at 15:06. Third period Braiden Scuderi put Atlanta 2-1 up, they really are getting their money's worth from their stars, Henry Mews ties it at 9:34. Atlanta score two quickly and add a late empty net goal and we're 2-0 down.

Game 3 - Atlanta Thrashers 3 Anchorage Huskies 4
Good news before the game, Henry Mews boarding was reviewed and judged to not deserve a suspension. Atlanta go 1-0 up in the first, Louis-Joseph Boutin at 16:26. Second period Anchorage drew level with a Henry Mews power play goal, Johan Dahlberg made it 2-1 Anchorage at 11:38, Brandon Gorzynski made it 2-2 with another power play goal and Enzo Landrey put Anchorage ahead again, 3-2 at 14:28 in a penalty strewn period. Into the third and Robin Hansson put Ancorage 4-2 up with a shot from the blue line (the screen with the shot positions is good), Carl Hewity brings Atlanta back within 1 at 13:48. A late penalty against Anchorage meant the game ended with Atlanta trying to equalize with a 6-on-4 minute but we held on. Anchorage rode their luck a bit, outshot and gave up 5 power plays but got the win and back into the series.

Game 4 - Atlanta Thrashers 3 Anchorage Huskies 1
Anchorage outshot Atlanta 37-29, but Atlanta had the better chances (Atlanta won "high danger chances 17-9) so a deserved win. No scoring in the first again, but Atlanta win it with three goals in the second period. Luke Gherasim (4:16), Braiden Scuderi (11:35) and Justin Poirier (12:40) and Atlanta have the game won. Urho Mattila gets one back in the third but that's the end of the scoring. Anchorage go back to Atlanta needing to win 3 games in a row to stay alive.

Game 5 - Anchorage Huskies 1 Atlanta Thrashers 2
And that's it, over and done. Rasmus Rinne puts Atlanta ahead right at the end of the second (19:43), Jonas Lambert brings Anchorage level at 10:46 of the third, but Atlanta win it was a goal from Juha Uusotalo at 14:15. A well deserved win, and a well deserved series win, Atlanta off to their first ever Stanley Cup final. No playoff goals from Lucas Karmiris, one for Oscar Vuollet, two for Kaden Pitre and 3 for Urho Mattila, the old guard have had their day. It'll be all change at Anchorage for next season. Unless the old guys drop their salary demands anyway.

So no Anchorage in the Stanley Cup final this year, it'll be Atlanta Thrashers against Toronto Maple Leafs. Will Toronto end the million years of suffering for their many legions of fans, or will Atlanta make the dozens of hockey fans in Atlanta happy?

On the plus side I'm apparently prescient.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote