View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 07:20 PM   #123
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I read this story in the NYT today and it made me think about these cities and how we can tell better stories. I might even make a Medium collection out of it, since I have such good photos.

I'm kicking around doing features on various neighborhoods and some of the challenges they face. It's interesting when we build these, we spend a lot of time talking about the challenges with redevelopment and not really focusing as much on the "agents" that are contained on the ground, where they go, what they do and so forth.

Even when there are people who build more slum-riddled cities, there just lacks a bunch of context. For instance, I'm thinking about the ways that mass transit works in the city and what life is like in the parts of the city proper that don't have any mass transit access and how expensive it is to live there, etc.

So I'm going to probably do some contextualizing as I go through and keep building or whatever.

I also need, now that I have a better sense of the areas of town, to look at the mass transit maps and do some visual routing of where bus/subway lines go on a photo of the city. With the street naming mod still not working, I can't name streets easily, but I might use some other method to try again, because it's the one thing I haven't been able to do as much lately so I don't have context for the neighborhoods in a granular way.

I'd like to dig deeper for stories.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote