View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Galway United FC were founded as Galway Rovers in the Claddagh district of the city of Galway. The club's website says the club was formed in 1937, but the Galway Advertiser reported a club by that name won a local competition in 1933. Perhaps it's the same club; who knows?

Rovers joined the League of Ireland in 1977. Their first goal in League play was scored by a 19-year-old left back called Eamonn Deacy. Two years later, Deacy signed with Aston Villa, where he was part of a side that won the English League Championship, the European Cup, and the European Super Cup. Deacy returned home to Galway in 1984, and went on to make over 200 appearances for the club. He was also capped four times by Ireland before he retired in 1991.

After Deacy died of a heart attack in 2012, the club's stadium was renamed Eamonn Deacy Park.

As the 2014 season begins, United are playing in the League of Ireland First Division, the second division of Irish football. The club are nicknamed the Tribesmen after the Tribes of Galway, a group of fourteen prominent local families.

United's kit is simple, but I like it. Claire's younger sister Beth especially likes the green shirt.

The League of Ireland plays a summer schedule, like several other northern European nations and the USA. I'll return with a look at the team after I play through the preseason.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 03-16-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote