View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Good grief, 45 matches in a season? That's a bit crazy.

Yeah, I suspect it'll get kind of tiresome since we play each team in the K-Challenge 5 times. It's heavy scheduling for a league with just 10 teams.

If/when we promote then things will surely be more interesting as the K-Classic schedule is unlike any I've ever played. Up at the highest/next level, there are 12 teams that play a total of 32 games. But the season is split into two legs.

First, everybody plays everybody else 2x each. That's 22 games. At that point the Classic league is split in Group A (top six) and Group B (bottom six) and you play just the teams in your group 2x more each to account for the other 10 games, for the total of 32.

The bottom team in Group B is relegated.
The 11th place team has a relegation playoff against the Challenge 2nd place

Meanwhile the Top 4 teams from Group A advance to the Asian Champions League Group Stage (or top 3 if some team outside that group happens to win the South Korea FA Cup BS which has an auto-bid to ACL)

Sooo ... not only do we place 45 matches in Challenge each year but if we don't promote then either 7 or 8 of those opponents will be the same clubs for 5x more matches each the following season.