View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #50
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I arrive at a fork and can go left towards the coast or right towards the forest. I choose to stick near the coast, because it is easier to follow.

It follows a high ridge for many miles. After some time, I pass a Szall village, but they ignore me for the most part, except for some children who run near by, chant at me, and throw some stones. The road descends into a valley, and the land here had not been marked by man or Szall. A short while later, I hear cries for help beyond a copse of trees. I can leave the road to help, or keep galloping. I decide to leave the road.

I spy a group of Szalls jumping excitedly around the body of a man pierced by a strange spear and wounded, crying for help.

As I near, it appears he is a Knight of the White Mountain. The Szalls appear to be celebrating his impending death. I can try and attack the Szalls or use Healing to help. I do use my skills, but the Szalls begin to tear at my cloak and pull me away. I do not have Camouflage, so I can not tell what they are saying. Thus, I draw my dagger and move menacingly at them. They are cowards and quickly flee. Within a moment I can turn to help the man. I have two choices. Remove the spear or search his pack for items. I choose to remove the spear.

The carved spear is made of metal, yet mysteriously light. It is carved with intricate runes and magic emblems. As I remove the spear, the man gives off a great sigh, and then a powerful, mind piercing shriek tears into my soul and I lose 2 EP.

The man jumps to his feet while I am reeling. A terrible change overcomes him and he shape shifts to change color to a dark, undead, being with powerful mind-numbing eyes. This is a Helghast, one of the greatest creatures that serve the Darklords, and they are so powerful that only magical weapons can harm them. Luckily, I am holding a magical spear.

Wounded Helghast: CS 22, EP 30. Each round I lose 2 EP from his Mindblast, unless I have Mindsheld, which I do. He is immune to Mindblast.

I have a -5 ratio, and that almost killed me against the Gourgaz in the first book. It could have been a lot worse though. Let’s see what happens.

I roll a 3 and take 5, he takes 2. Not a good start. I follow with a 5 and he takes 4 and me 4. I cannot evade and must finish this battle. I roll an 8 and he takes 7 and me 2. He has lost 13 and me 11. I roll a 5 and we each take 4 again. Whew, a 0 follows and he takes 9. He has 7 EP left, and I have 9. I roll a 6 and he takes 5 and me 4. My final roll is a 9 and he dies. I have 5 EP left. He is dead. There is no way I would have survived this without Mindsheld.

I keep the Magical Spear. It counts as a Special Item, but I can use it in combat like a Spear.

I search his pack and find an evil looking dagger with a black blade and a scroll with the word Kai on it. I turn to leave and find that the Szall’s have taken my horse. Well, now I am taking their spear.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote