View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #69
revrew
Team Chaplain

The Dragons 2026 Draft Class

1.16 – OT Dashawn O'Connell, South Carolina (Cedar Rapids, IA)
3.14 – CB/KR/PR Calvin Minnig, Iowa
3.20 – OT Bob Hansen, Iowa
4.19 – S Riley Brock, Iowa
5.18 – RG Edgar Edge, North Carolina (Cedar Rapids, IA)
6.17 – TE Renaldo Barrett, Iowa State
7.20 – DE Frankie Rhodes, Iowa State

Commentary:
Mike Mayock: "I give the Dragons credit for addressing the offensive line and special teams with their first three selections. Ledger's trade up while adding picks was a reasonable move, and I don't feel the Dragons stretched with any of their choices. My biggest concern, however, is the team has not really addressed its receiver corps, and I can't help but wonder if they would have had better trade and draft choices if Ledger wasn't committed to his Iowa-only approach."

Mel Kiper: "I have O'Connell graded as the top tackle in the draft, but it's a weak O-line class overall, so his stock wasn't as high as many predictions, and we saw that play out in the draft. He's well coached and was effective for the Gamecocks, but he lacks the elite athleticism to be a true, top 10 talent. Looking down the draft list, Minnig should help solidify the Dragons' return game, and he's mature for his age. He could find a nickel or dime spot in that capable Dragon secondary sooner, rather than later. I'm not as sold on the later picks in this draft. They appear safe enough, but you'd like to see a team take a few chances with high-upside guys in the later rounds."

Skip Bayless: "The Dragons' draft is crap, just like I told you it would be. You can't build a team through the draft by ignoring 95 percent of the available players. And here you see the results of that. Overpaying to get an overrated tackle, then settling for scraps through the rest of the draft, when what they really need is a quarterback, some receivers, a running back – heck, anybody who can make a play on offense. Iowa colleges didn't produce playmakers this year, so the Dragons couldn't draft any? Stupid! This is the kind of boneheaded strategy that is going to send Jack Ledger's little experiment down in flames."
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote