View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #240
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – Summer 2028 (still)

We now join the Steve Victory press conference live via a feed from WRAL-TV 5 in Raleigh…

Steve Victory is seated at a table in the Amato Athletic Building conference room with the N.C. State logo prominently displayed behind him. In one corner, a group of basketball players, all dressed in shirt and tie, sit with sullen looks. His wife is seated next to him. The Sheriff slips into the back row, trying not to be noticed…

“When I planned this press conference more than a week ago, I had the full intention of retiring from coaching,” Victory started out. “It’s a long story why, but I felt satisfied at what I had accomplished in 25 years and that I had brought N.C. State basketball to a place where it could compete for national titles for years to come with or without me. With my kids headed off to college to play ball, I thought this was a good time to get out of the game, buy an RV and enjoy the ‘good life.’

“But my kids played a big role in keeping me in the game, and I realized quickly that RVs are too small to live in and too hard to drive. It didn’t take long for us all to decide my place was still on the bench, on the recruiting trail and in the locker room… But through much thought, prayer and anguish I’ve decided to finish out my career somewhere other than N.C. State University.

“As of today, I have resigned as coach of the Wolfpack. Tomorrow afternoon, I officially will be welcomed as the new coach of the California Golden Bears.

“It’s another long story how I am ending up at Cal. But a few things came into play. One, a chance to build another program, a big part of what I love about college basketball. Two, the chance to be closer to my daughter, Stephanie, who will be playing ball at San Diego State – but not too close that I drive her nuts. And three, a chance to build without really interfering with all that has been done here in Raleigh. I figured if I ever left State, I would get as far away as possible so the next coach would have all the elbow room he needed to keep growing the program. I know that will happen with me on a different coast.

“This is my last move. No matter what, I am finishing out my career at Cal, whether it be one more year or 20.

“I will always treasure my years here at NCSU. They have been my best so far. I wish the Wolfpack the best of luck in the future and will always hold a special place in my heart for the red and white of N.C. State.”

With that, Victory and his wife step down from the podium and dash off for a new life – in Berkeley, California of all places…
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote