View Single Post
Old 03-05-2024, 01:48 PM   #366
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Little confused by this question. I don't care what the specific commonalities are, I care there definitely are commonalities because they are a very large group of people that share same/similar culture, beliefs etc.

I am generally pro-Israel. But if 9M Israeli's, majority of them with negative feelings towards Muslims (totally understandable there are negative feels in both directions), immigrated to the US, I would be very concerned.

But the 11M are not all from one specific country that is widely recognized as Jewish state. I have a good idea culture, beliefs etc. Israelis share. What are the same/similar cultures, beliefs etc. between Brazil, China, Honduras, the former USSR and Haiti that would make people from those countries be a formidable voting bloc in one direction or another?

Quote:
Let's look at breakdown nos. vs just list of countries. For illegals in 2021, Pew report (see graphic about midway) says ...

What we know about unauthorized immigrants living in the U.S. | Pew Research Center

Latin America = 7,600 / 10,500 = 72.3%
Asia = 1,650 = 15.7%
Rest of World = 1,240 = 11.8%

Let's be clear before we go any further. Mexico has the largest percentage of authorized and unauthorized immigrants and naturalized citizens. I am not sure why the decision was made to go with Latin American in graph then go to Mexico and Latin America and then to separate Mexico from the rest in everything else. Mexico is its own separate category when it comes to immigration. Now then, of the 10.5M unauthorized immigrants, 4.05M are Mexicans. When you take that 39% out of the equation, here is the breakdown.

NOTE-I'm not a fan of combining the rest of world in one when we could just show all the regional numbers that Pew used. Might as well give the complete picture.

Central America- 2.15M/6.4M =33.5%
South America- .825M, 12.8%
Caribbean- .575M, 9%
Europe and Canada- .675M, 10.5%
Asia- 1.65M, 25.7%
Middle East- .17M, 3%
Africa(sub-Sahara)- .325, 5%

Quote:
Immigration to the United States - Wikipedia
(see table Origins of the U.S. immigrant population, 1960–2016).

Mexico & Latin America = 50%
Asia = 28%
Europe-Canada = 13%

(Looks like the Asians are losing out here)

I gave you the origin countries of naturalized citizens since we were talking about voting but if you want legal immigrants that is fine. Once again, Mexico is by far the leader with 11.6M of the 43.7M of the total foreign born resident population as of 2016. That equated to 26.5% of the total. Excluding Mexico, here are the top ten countries of origin birth for immigrants, their resident population and percentage of the remaining 32.1M.

China-2.7M (8.4%)
India-2.4M (7.4%)
Philippines- 1.9M (5.9%)
El Salvador-1.375M (4.2%)
Vietnam- 1.35M(4.2%)
Cuba- 1.2M (3.7%)
Dominican Republic-1.08M(3.3%)
Korea- 1.04M (3.2%)
Guatemala- .93M (2.8%)
Canada- .78M(2.4%)

Since I want to be inclusive of all the regions, the first South American country on the list was Colombia (.69M, 2.1%), European is Germany(.55M, 1.7%), Middle Eastern is Iran(.39M, 1.2%), Africa (sub Sahara) Nigeria(.31M, .9%).

And here are the approved naturalizations in FY2023.

Mexico- 111,500 (12.6%)
India-59,100 (6.7%)
Philippines- 44,800 (5.0%)
Dominican Republic-35,200 (4.0%)
Cuba-33,200 (3.7%)
Vietnam-32,800 (3.7%)
China-25,800 (2.9%)
El Salvador-21,100 (2.4%)
Jamaica-20,200 (2.2%)
Colombia-17,100 (1.9%)

So no it is not a breakdown of 72-50. It is a breakdown of Mexico and everyone else with Asia coming in strong despite being on the other side of the globe.

Quote:
We have laws and quotas (based on country of origin, types of visa etc.) on the books. And I'm pretty sure any comprehensive immigration reform will continue them. I'm okay with the concept of limits but may not agree to the eligibility criteria or proportions

We do not have quotas based on national origin per se. That officially ended in 1965 in part because they were used among other reasons to refuse Jews entry when they were trying to escape Hitler. Every country gets the same number of family based and employment based green cards allotted. That's right, Liechtenstein (population 39,039) get the same number of green cards as India (1,428,627,663). Not surprisingly, Mexico, Philippines and India are top three on the green card backlog list.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote