View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #284
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Mt St. Helens Memorial Invite @ Cumming Aquatic Center 5/18-19

---------------------------------------------------
Bailey

200 Free – 2:56.47 – could improve some here as she’s beginning to learn how to swim longer distances better

50 Breast – 50.42 – No idea what to expect…she’s getting better at this stroke again, but not sure she’s all the way back yet.

100 Fly – 1:29.49 – She swam this well just last month. Even a slight improvement would be good this time around

200 IM – 3:23.93 – I expect she will improve some here. Second time swimming this event, she’ll know better how hard she can push

100 Free – 1:20.37 – Bailey should be much faster than this time. Most of her contemporaries that she was swimming with or faster than in short course are around a 1:18…so I expect she’ll come in closer to that time than the 1:20 she swam last month

200 Fly – NT – not sure about this one. Bailey’s fly is strong but a 200 can be tough and it can also lead to bad habits. When fatigue sets in a swimmer’s form will start to break up and I’ve seen kids that completely ruined their stroke trying to swim a fly event too long for their strength. I honestly don’t care about the result here, I just don’t want her to develop any bad habits.

50 Back – 40.67 – could get a cut…

400 IM – NT - I expect Bailey will do pretty well here, if her Breaststroke holds up. It may actually help her. If she’ll relax and use the Breast as a recovery stroke, she may hold her streamline longer and get a better kick. We’ll see…

-------------------------------------------------
Bear

200 Free – 2:55.40 – I expect a huge improvement here. I outlined why somewhat in the 500 Free swim from the last meet. He had so much more to give in this race last time out. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 3+ second drop.

200 Breast – NT – He might drown. His form is much better but for some reason he isn’t getting the critical early grab on the water in the pull phase, which invariably leads to an inefficient stroke. If he does that for a 200, I’ll be watching for quite a while.

50 Free – NT – He has a time here…37.59. Not sure why he wasn’t listed with it. I expect he should beat that time
800 Free – NT – Bear is excited about this one. He feels he can get another state cut. I hope he does, as it would go a long way to boosting his confidence.

100 Free – NT - He actually doesn’t have a time in this. I’m surprised to find that out, could have sworn he did, but nothing is coming up in the USA Swimming database. I expect his time will be similar to Brett’s 1:20.30

100 Breast – 1:56.79 – If he gets an early grab he beats this time, if he doesn’t he won’t. It is that simple.

50 Back – 46.76 – I’d like to say he’s going to do better in this one. For some reason he just doesn’t seem to get any better in back right now. Because of that, I don’t expect much of a change.

400 IM – NT - I don’t expect much. Strokes are still in transition…back half of fly will be a problem, breast catch will potentially be an issue, and the back is pretty flat right now….

--------------------------------------------------------
Brett

200 Free – 3:00.59 – seems to be talking about pushing himself harder in the longer events, we’ll see if he’s going to do it.

100 Back – 1:45.10 – if he believes in his count could improve here.

200 Breast – 3:37.50 – This is his time from last year at state. He’s gotten much better at pullouts and he’s working harder and faster, so this should go down.

100 Fly – NT – Will continue to swim this until he gets a good time. He’s back to working hard on it at practice, and he’s doing a better job of pointing his toes and keeping his feet together. Still will be a challenge to complete a 100 fly without getting DQed

100 Free – 1:20.30 – Hoping for an improvement here again. Not sure we’ll see it. Kick is getting better, but still has a long way to go.

50 Fly – 47.64 – Could improve here. His opening 50 is ok, it isn’t until fatigue set in that he gets sloppy, and with the improvements I’ve seen, I think he has more speed in him

100 Breast – 1:37.31 – He was pretty quick on this last month. Not sure he’ll improve on this time only a month later. We are doing some exercises to try and get the shoulders, lats, and middle back stronger…so maybe?

200 Back – NT – He could be pretty good here. His back is very smooth and consistent. The problem is picking up the pace to race. So a longer event might serve him well. Don’t misunderstand. I don’t expect him to post a fast time, just solid splits and a decent time. (assuming he trusts his count)

Last edited by Breeze : 05-21-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote