View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #288
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
Might have missed this answer but how does the age stuff work? Are they grouped every two years (even age the older, like 11-12s)? Seems an entire year older in an age group, at the twins age, could be a MAJOR advantage.

Hey Mighty...

Yes, your reading it correctly. The age groups are broken down like this:

6 & Under
7-8
9-10
11-12
13-14
15 & Over

So yes, being the older age in the group does make a huge difference. And in the twins case, even being older doesn't make them really old for the group. The cut off date for age is May 31st, and the twins don't age up until the end of April. So even when they are the older age, they are still young...

I expect next season Bailey's group for Summer League to be extremely strong, as many of the 11 year olds are already almost as fast as the 12 years olds now...meaning they should be much faster next year. I wouldn't be surprised if next year every girl in the 4 in the A relay is faster than the ones that will swim the A this year. We'll need to try and remember to look back on that, because it could be an interesting comparison.

While the twins do suffer a bit when they are on the younger end of the age group, I must admit, I really like the odd years the best, because Brett and Bear get to be on the same relay teams. In past years, they have been able to medal at county in the medley relay, this year I doubt that will happen, but it's still fun...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote