View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #289
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Mt St. Helens Memorial Invite @ Cumming Aquatic Center 5/18-19

---------------------------------------------------
Bailey

200 Free – 2:56.47 – Bailey took this race out faster than she did last time, completing the first split almost 2 seconds faster than a month ago. However, her back half was slightly slower than last time so she posted a personal best but it wasn’t a significant improvement 2:55.43

50 Breast – 50.42 – Still struggling with this one…she does look better than she did earlier in the season, but something is still off - 52.10

100 Fly – 1:29.49 – In my pre-race write up I stated that given the fact she swam this well last month and it is a difficult and long race I didn’t expect much of an improvement, what I didn’t tell you (and should have) was that Bailey had much different ideas. Bailey said coming into this race that she would get the state cut in it. She was going to need to drop almost 2.5 seconds to get there, but when all was said and done, she dropped 3.5 and finished sixed overall with a time of 1:26.02

200 IM – 3:23.93 – Huge improvement here. Bailey posted a very strong 3:16.56, Breast is still holding her back in this event.

100 Free – 1:20.37 – Pretty much as I expected, she was much faster, only she was faster than I expected. As I stated, I was looking for something in the 1:18s, and honestly a 1:18 low was what I was expecting, she went a 1:17.37. I knew 1:20 was a poor swim for her.

200 Fly – NT – This was a tough one. Bailey was stressed out about it for days. When the race started she did a nice job of over emphasizing the “wiggle” in the stroke to try and create a deliberate but efficient stroke that would enable her to conserve energy. However, by the time she finished her 100, she wanted to hang on the wall at the turn, but she was urged off and ultimately she only stayed on the wall for about a second. By this time her stroke was already looking bad, and a third of the way down the pool for the 75 meter portion the inevitable happened, she swallowed water and couldn’t breathe. She stopped, at which point she was dqed. She tried to go again so she could finish, but she only got about 4 strokes in before she did it again. She was about to restart for a third time when the coach told her it was ok to get out. I felt bad for her, but I have to admit I wasn’t surprised. She tires so much even during a 200 Free, that I felt a 200 fly was going to be too much.

50 Back – 40.67 – didn’t get a cut…in fact, didn’t improve. I think there was still a fatigue issue from the 200 fly. She finished in – 41:30…so still a good chance at a cut here.

400 IM – NT – Bailey’s 100 fly in this was a pretty good 1:30.7. The back was clearly a recovery stroke for her as she went a pedestrian 1:45.00. The breast was a battle as she posted a poor 2:09.12, which was slowest of the 8 girls swimming and a full 4 seconds slower than the seventh place girl. The free was a pretty quick 1:31.88. All in all she posted a very solid 6:56.70 and earned her second state cut…

Last edited by Breeze : 05-21-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote