View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #51
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Corperial
New Worlds Protocol research is a must.

Shocked I am. Truly shocked. All that remains right now is for our Head of State to show up. Probably off doing something stupid like working for a living.

Humboldt -- Our Home

This is the ocean world of Humboldt, the only planet on which we have ever lived. While that will hopefully change soon, it's worth taking a closer look.

Explanations of a few things are in order here. We can hold up to 16 pops here, with a present total of 7. Planets can be smaller or larger, up to 25 max. There are some new resources:

** The green apples signify food. The more surplus food we have, the faster the population will grow.
** The yellow and black borders indicate tiles we can't use until we clear what is in them. Clearing costs both minerals and energy.
** The resources indicated in each tile are what can be gathered there if someone is at work in that area.
** If you look closely, you can see buildings in the background of some tiles. Where there is a building, the resources produced include what the building contributes. It's important to match the building to the tile. If, for example, we built a mine on the 1-food tile in the right column, we'd get the minerals for the mine, but the food would be gone. Building a hydroponic farm there will add the tile's food to the food from the farm, increasing the yield.
** The planetary capital(second column, third row down), currently at 4 food and 4 minerals, adds +1 to the minerals, food, or energy from any of the four adjacent tiles(shown with the small yellowish triangles/arrows). It's important to remember this when placing a colony on new worlds.
** We can only build/clear one thing at a time.

With all that in mind, anyone who chooses to be a planetary governor will set priorities for what resources to develop first in general(food, minerals, energy, research) that will nudge development in one way or another. It is possible to add modules to spaceports which add to our production, but not until we've, you know, invented such things. Right now we can't upgrade or add modules to ours, so it pretty much is what it is.

The main choice I'll be making here is whether to build a farm for one of the two pops working in areas that could benefit from that, or -- given the fact that we have a glut of food at the moment with 12.1 produced and only 6.6 used, clear one of the blocked tiles to produce energy, research, or something else.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-09-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote