View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 10:21 AM   #99
QuikSand
lolzcat

Late free agency:

A few twists here. I worked out several renegotiations, in order to clear cap space to try to sign TE Doss for a one year deal. I think his asking price was too high, and I didn't think anyone would pay him - not even AVAILABLE. But for cohesion/talent, I did not want to lose him this year. So, a 1yr bonus-loaded $8m deal at least got him listening, and my hope would have been to re-up with him next year on fairer terms.

Intead, a human-owned team decided to move in and pay him for 3 years, and he took that offer instead. I gambled, I lost, and now we are likely going to suffer -- two of our top three targets from last year's magic carpet ride are gone, and will be replaced by substantially lesser stand-ins. This year, it looks like we will use TE Ricky Maloney as our TE1 -- he's a minsal free agent signee. Big dropoff from Doss, who is good (not great) at everything we like. I could have blunted this with a free agent signing, but I got outbid earlier on a venerable guy who would have made a nice chemistry leader there too. Ugh.

Elsewhere, we grab a few undrafted rookies, nothing special I don't think. I like the looks of CB Gavin Cortez the best of the lot, he's one of those no-zone corners who look decent on paper, but basically can't play in multi-CB formations, meaning he's good for what, exactly? Right.

I have to skip this stage (training camp) today, as I don't have access to my main FOF computer and don't want to risk messing up my playbook/gameplan for the whole season. Alas, we'll head into camp looking a couple pegs down from last year, and without some of the tweaking that I'd prefer to do here.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote