View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #873
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I honestly think that's an incredibly near sighted sentiment CU. Thinking only on what the impact may be today clearly misses the possibilities it holds. The guy who runs the company putting these out is an anarchist. It doesn't take much creative thinking into the future to see where this tech goes. From an ethical standpoint, it's giving no concern to ideas that ai or human cloning might be bad for us while tacitly allowing unlimited development to continue.

Im not trying to be short sighted. This is just sensationalism to me. 3D printing is a buzz word and its new and unknown so it makes a great story.

I have a plasma table at my house. Ive had it for 12 years or so since back when I was building my first baja car. Its super easy to make some parts on it that arent mass produced or I didnt like the quality. I have maybe $8k in my plasma table. I can literally, today, download cad based files for numerous gun components or complete plans for assembly. I can walk into any of a dozen scrap metal places within 15 minutes of my house and buy metal and produce my own gun. This has literally been a possibility for 25+ years. This isnt new. Yes its a new process. But its not a new concept.

The truth of the matter is that firearm construction is still a skilled and complex process. I dont care what 3d print file you download. Its a huge leap from producing a resin product that resembles and gun and functions - to one that will actually fire a projectile without blowing up and killing the person holding it.

You may be only now becoming aware that possibility exists, but believe me it isnt a new possibility.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote