View Single Post
Old 02-08-2024, 03:51 PM   #18
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
The last time I posted, support received several emails worried that I was "despondent" about the game.

I'm not. The Steam review algorithm frustrates me because negative reviews control where your game is found when people search for games. They have an outsized individual weight for games that aren't selling in the tens of thousands. This is mostly a criticism of Steam, which has to focus on the 5A titles for its own livelihood.

So if a former customer throws out the thumbs down after 15-20 minutes with the game without even reading the guide to the interface or taking the trouble to see how things are organized - naturally, I wish they'd never been here in the first place. Which bothers me because they are among the minority of gamers who, again, understand this type of game and are into the same idea of what a game can be. I'm not despondent by any means, but I feel increasingly anachronistic.

I agree about the drive by negative reviews, in, general, but there's only three of those types for FOF9. I think they hurt the score significantly more in the first week or so when there was only a few reviews, but they're fairly well balanced out now.

My point is that most negative reviews have significant playing time associated with them, but I feel somewhat like they're being somewhat dismissed because of the three dipshits who gave up after a half hour of confusion.

Anachronistic? Absolutely! Happens to us all, right? That said, as has been suggested by some (myself included), it does seem like releasing FOF9 as an Early Access title initially would've helped with the bugs discussion. But you're old school, what's a few bugs between friends that get fixed? Yeah, nowadays they're majorly frowned on and can dominate a game's discussion.

Live and learn, I guess... I know, we aren't devs, so what we ask/suggest/think is easy may not be.

Last edited by garion333 : 02-08-2024 at 03:52 PM.
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote