View Single Post
Old 02-10-2023, 11:08 AM   #44
MoonlightGraham
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseBoots View Post
I'm hopeful for Hicks, he might just be the type to take a risk ... and hopefully Brown will be a sneaky good discovery!

I'm also glad that Venceslas will be getting a chance to impress this season. I'm just biased to the unknown European talent =) but he has a great name as well, well worth rooting for.

I've been increasing my knowledge via wikipedia, checking out the prototypical sizes and skillsets for the various positions. Good fun!

I hope you're right about both Brown and Hicks.

I'm a bit surprised Brown hasn't committed yet. As of last month, we were the only program recruiting him, and he's liked us from the beginning. I remain hopeful, however. Unless our scouting report is way, way off, Armando is the kind of player I want to coach, as I shape the character of the Lafayette basketball program.

My instincts are telling me Hicks might pick Loyola instead. That would be a shame, because I think he's a good fit for us, too. There are reasons why I recruited Dorsey before Leroy Bonin. Leroy's not a bad player, but there are things Dorsey does considerably better.

Good King Venceslás will be practicing with the starting five when workouts begin in October. I'm fond of recruiting European talent, too. However, they're expensive to recruit, so a program the size of Lafayette has to commit a sizeable portion of its monthly budget to a single player when we turn our attention overseas. It costs more money to evaluate a European player than it does to bring a kid from the eastern USA to campus for a visit...so we have to be careful about which international recruits we pursue. Venceslás was a high priority from the start, but we still couldn't afford to recruit him heavily until we'd lined up two other members of his class.

Perhaps I'll look overseas if things don't work out with Brown or Hicks.

I'm glad you're enjoying your research about basketball! There seems to be an increasing trend toward "positionless" basketball, involving players that don't fit the traditional archetypes associated with size and position. Nicola Jokić of the NBA's Denver Nuggets, who is 6'11", 285 pounds, averages over 10 assists per game as his team's primary playmaker. He's uniquely talented and versatile, but there are other players who do similar things at a less dominant level. The "positionless" trend is catching on at the NCAA level, too.

Thanks for stopping by again!

Last edited by MoonlightGraham : 02-10-2023 at 11:12 AM.
MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote