Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2023, 07:40 AM   #205
Edward64
Head Coach

Below is from Aug 30 Axios article and details what the Palestinians want. So apparently they have had some input into what's been going on.

Just a moment...
Quote:
The PA provided the list of possible deliverables to Saudi Arabia earlier this year — a sign that Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and his aides have decided to take a pragmatic approach to the U.S.-led talks, which could see Israel-Saudi normalization, to avoid a clash with Riyadh and leverage their position to get as much as they can from any deal.
:
Senior Abbas adviser Hussein al-Sheikh, who is leading the consultations on the issue with Riyadh, gave Saudi national security adviser Musaed bin Mohammed al-Aiban the list of possible deliverables three months ago,

The are:

Quote:
The Palestinians want Israel to agree to change the status of parts of Area C in the occupied West Bank, where Israel currently has full control, to Area B, where the PA has civilian control and Israel maintains security control.
Seems reasonable (e.g. worth it) to me

Quote:
The Palestinians' list also proposes the U.S. finally reopen its consulate in Jerusalem, which was closed by the Trump administration. President Biden vowed to reopen the consulate when he took office, but it remains closed amid Israeli opposition.
Seems reasonable to me

Quote:
The Palestinians' list also proposes the U.S. finally reopen its consulate in Jerusalem, which was closed by the Trump administration. President Biden vowed to reopen the consulate when he took office, but it remains closed amid Israeli opposition.
Seems reasonable to me

Quote:
The PA's list includes steps that it wants to be taken at the UN related to the recognition of Palestine as a member state.
If this is just documenting the steps vs starting & doing ... seems reasonable to me. If it's the latter, it'll take forever to do and therefore not reasonable IMO

Quote:
The Palestinians also asked Saudi Arabia to resume funding to the Palestinian Authority, which was halted several years ago. The Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday that the Saudis are ready to do that.
Seems reasonable to me

Quote:
The Palestinians want Israel to agree to at least some of these steps upfront and agree to resume Israeli-Palestinian final status negotiations over several years under a clear timetable, the sources said.
Seems reasonable to me. Setting timetable is good. I think fair chance though the process will end up stalemate again.

The Axios article's list of demands seem relatively "easy" to agree to. I'm not convinced there isn't more. Another article said the US senators were also pushing for

Quote:
The measures the senators listed are significant, including a commitment by Israel not to annex any of the West Bank and a halt on the construction and expansion of Israeli settlements. These actions, the senators wrote, would help achieve Mr. Biden’s stated objective of “preserving the option of a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.”
My guess is this will be harder for Bibi to sell but ... seems reasonable to me.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-05-2023 at 07:40 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote