View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 03:13 PM   #27
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Despite not doing any write-ups on this career since November of last year, I've been continuing this save and have completed three seasons thus far.

It's been a fun and interesting game so I thought I'd offer a brief recap of my first three years of management within this universe.

------------------------------------------

2018/19 Ladbrokes Scottish League Two - First Half Results

Picking up where I left off, with the team sitting in a tie for second place and on a seven game unbeaten run. We'd drop a crazy 6-4 decision to Edinburgh City that would begin a rough stretch where we'd win only three out of nine matches and drop a couple spots on the table.

It would take a tactics change for us to turn things around. Earlier in the season, we were utilizing a 4-4-2 Narrow Diamond formation (a defensive midfielder, two central mids and a central attacking mid), which left one of our top players on the sidelines in young AMR Brian Donaldson.

We'd start utilizing a 4-2-3-1 formation in November, with three attacking midfielders joined by two central mids and while it took some time to get used to the change, those efforts finally bared fruit in December, as we'd close out the calendar year on a four game winning streak.

We'd reach the midpoint of the season in second place with a record of 10 wins, 2 draws and 6 losses, good for 32 points. That placed us four points behind leaders Edinburgh City.

Our 46 goals placed us second behind Edinburgh City's 48 but our defense struggled, with our 33 goals against placing us 7th in the ten team league.

January 2019 - Transfer Window

Due to having no wage or transfer budget, we knew teams would be tempting our amateur players with professional contracts once the transfer window reopened and that certainly was the case.

Transfers OUT

GK - Elliot Anderson - Free - Civil Service
DL - Michael Thomson - Free - Whitehill Welfare
DR - Rhys Scullion - Free - Inverness CT
DR - Cameron Lumsden - Free - Gala Fairydean Rovers
DM - Kyle Devlin - Free - Inverness CT
MC - Malky Breen - Free - Hibernian
MC - Calvin McGrory - Free - Cumbernauld Colts
ML - Matthew Rooney - Free - Whitehill Welfare
MR - Conor Langton - Free - Airdrie
AMC - Mitchell Foy - Free - Cumbernauld Colts
AMR - Brian Donaldson - Free - Dundee United
AMR - Keiron Campbell - Free - Cumbernauld Colts
ST - Ewan MacPherson - Free - Raith

The two biggest losses here were Brian Donaldson and Ewan MacPherson. The 17 year old Donaldson, a left footed AMR, was a revelation once I went to a 4-2-3-1 formation, scoring 8 goals in 17 appearances, while adding four assists along the way. He was uber-talented and would be impossible to really replace.

Also leaving due to the dollar signs was our leading goal scorer MacPherson, who left the team after scoring 16 times in only 27 appearances in '18/19, adding five assists as well.

The only other real contributor among the group noted above was midfielder Malky Breen, who made 11 appearances for the club, seven of which came from the bench.

Transfers IN

DL - Andy Mair - Free (from Civil Service) - 22 years old, Scotland
DR - Kieran Hall - Free (from Stirling University) - 18 years old, Scotland
MC - Gary Fraser - Free (Free) - 24 years old, Scotland
AMR - Sean McManus - Free (from Brora) - 19 years old, Scotland
AMR - Jordan Elliot - Free (Free) - 18 years old, Scotland
AMC - Kyle Clark - Free (Free) - 18 years old, Scotland
ST - Jai Holland - Free (from Gretna 2008) - 20 years old, Scotland

Mair is a very versatile piece with the ability to play any position on the left flank. The biggest addition is midfielder Gary Fraser, as he has the ability to step in immediately as a starter. Jordan Elliot should also be useful as a replacement for Brian Donaldson.

Loan IN

ST - Joel Macbeath - Free (from Ross County) - 17 years old, Scotland

Fleet of foot young striker that will offer some cover for our incumbents.

Last edited by NoSkillz : 12-13-2019 at 03:15 PM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote