View Single Post
Old 04-09-2023, 09:36 AM   #318
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Something I would consider to be "woke" is that math is racist. I hate the word woke, and it's definitely been weaponized by the right, but here's some quotes from an article that screams wokeness to me regarding the "math is racist" topic.

The statement, signed by To and the executive of the OMCA, goes on to say that their issue is not with a math fact, “but rather how a math fact along with its inherent social privilege of objectivity can be taken and weaponized to uphold bigotry and white supremacy ideology.”

In one tweet, Theijsmeijer pointed her followers to commentary by Laurie Rubel, an associate professor of mathematics education, explaining that proponents of “2 + 2 = 4” are grounded “in white, Western mathematics that marginalizes other possible values.”

HRP’s goals include ending “dehumanizing practices” such as “grading” and “radically reduc[ing] homework.” Members of the group strive to entrench social justice as a “cornerstone to educational success” while demanding “anti-racist, inclusive spaces” and adopting “critical pedagogy.”

That is not what Laurie Rubel claims at all. She's making the point that people use the "2+2=4" argument for other disciplines, that the fact there is a finite value or answer in math means there is a finite value or answer in other aspects of life and that the phrasing is often used by racists and/or people who protest attempts to make math education more inclusive. She is not at all suggesting there should be other values for the equation.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote