(3) Charlotte at (1) New Orleans

CHA:NO
92:93 OVR
87:90 OFF
95:94 DEF

First Quarter

New Orleans 24
Charlotte 23

We lead early, New Orleans leads 18-12 with about 5 minutes left and its a tight game at the end of the quarter. Our scoring is balanced, Padgett 5, Sparks, Felton and Wallace 4 each, Swanson and Mayo each have 3, each hitting a 3 pointer. JR Smith shoots 5-6 and has 11 points, Paul has 7 points and 4 assists. A few others have 2.

Second Quarter

New Orleans 42
Charlotte 38

Chris Paul picks up 3 fouls, he and JR Smith don't score at all in the quarter but this is where their depth shows, its a low scoring quarter but the Hornets lead the entire 12 minutes. JR Smith 11, Paul 7 still, Saramago 6, Dailey 5, Okafor and Noah have 4 each. Padgett leads us with 9, Felton, Sparks and Wallace have 6 each, Felton has 5 assists too. Mayo is 2-8 and only has 5, and Padgett is only shooting 3-8. One of them needs ot wake up!

Third Quarter

New Orleans 70
charlotte 66

New Orleans leads by as much as 8, its close but it seems like we're struggling to score more than they are. Mayo has woken up which is huge. Padgett has 15 points/7 boards/2 blocks, Mayo has 15, Sparks has 10, Felton 8 points/7 assists and Wallace has 8. JR Smith 14, Saramago 14, Paul 11 points/7 assists for the Hornets. Noah and Elliot, the backup bigs for the Hornets have 8 and 7.

Fourth Quarter

The CPU starts us with Bibby/Swanson/Henderson/Padgett/Chandler. Ok...

9:15 to go - I bring Felton in, New Olreans is pulling away a bit, they lead 78-70.

8:30 to go - 79-72, Padgett needs a breather, I go with Felton/Mayo/Henderson/Fisher/Sparks after a timeout.

6:40 to go - Mayo has our last 6 but we have no defense at all, its 87-78. Paul is even on the bench with 5 fouls, JR Smith is playing the point quite well for them. I get another timeout.

6:00 to go - Mayo with a block for foul #4, its 89-80 New Orleans, all 5 starters back in for Charlotte.

5:00 to go - Mayo with two free throws, we get a good stop on D, Mayo hits a 3 in transition. Another stop on D, Mayo with a layup in transition on a great feed from Wallace. 89-87 New Orleans, its down to 2!

4:40 to go - Another stop, Felton with a drive and we're tied up! Dell Sparks deserves a ton of credit here. He has altered two of the last 3 shots by the Hornets as they drive the lane, and has pulled down all 3 boards to start the break.

2:45 to go - Paul finally came back in aftera foul at the 4:30 mark. New Orleans scores 4 in a row to make it 93-89, Mayo just hit a 20 foot jumper to cut it back to 2, 93-91. Mayo is my only reliable scorer here, I just had two misses from Wallace before going back to him.

1:55 to go - Paul hits a jumper, Sparks two from the line and Mayo with another bucket and we're tied up at 95. Mayo has obviously taken over on offense but I just cannot stress the importance of Dell Sparks on the defensive end all quarter. Another block and another rebound in our last two trips. He's only credited with one block on the game, 12 points/7 boards, I'd say 5 boards/1 block are from this quarter alone and his impact has really been greater than that as far as altering shots as Josh Smith works inside and JR Smith and Saramago have tried to drive without much success the last few minutes.

1:35 to go - 22 seconds of good D, but one pump fake with just a couple seconds left on the shot clock leads to a wide open jumper for Saramago. 97-95 Hornets.

1:20 to go - Wallace with a give and go to Mayo, Mayo is covered pretty well and dumps it to Sparks who makes a little hook shot. 97-97.

1:10 to go - JR Smith with an open 3 from the right corner. 100-97 New Orleans.

0:57 to go - Padgett gets it inside, Mayo's man leaves him alone to double(really???), Padgett hits Mayo, Okafor has to come defend hiim, and Mayo again finds Sparks for a layup. 100-99 New Orleans.

0:32 to go - Sparks with another good play on defense(this time with me controlling him, I haven't been much since he wasn't scoring much). We force a tough shot, Padgett with the board, we set up quickly on offense and Padgett gets Josh Smith out of position, goes to the rim for a dunk and gets fouled!! He hits the free throw, its 102-100 Charlotte.

0:17 to go - Paul with a give and go to Saramago, but he can't hit his shot in the lane, Sparks is there to alter the shot again. We rebound, and have one of those situations where the other team isn't going to foul even though there's less than a 2 second difference in the shot/game clock, so I just push the ball up the court and Mayo is ableto beat his man one on one in transition for a dunk. 104-100!

0:12 to go - They go quickly to JR Smith who drives, Mayo plays good D and forces a miss, guess who with the board. Unfortunately, Sparks isn't a good FT shooter, he misses one of two. 105-100

Paul hits a 3 but its too late.

Charlotte 105
New Orleans 103

Mayo: 34 points/3 assists (19 4th quarter points)
Padgett: 20 points/9 boards
Sparks: 17 points/8 boards (7 points/6 boards I believe in the 4th)
Felton: 10 points/8 assists
Wallace: 8 points/5 boards
Chandler: 6 points
Swanson: 4 points
Henderson: 2 points
Bibby: 2 points
Fisher: 2 points

JR Smith shoots 9-15 and leadsthe Hornets with 21. Saramago 19 points/4 boards/7 assists, Paul 16 points/10 assists for a double double in just 27 minutes with some foul trouble. He was definitely pass first late in the 4th though.

Mayo and Sparks were just huge in the 4th. All of those mentions of Sparks altering shots/getting boards... the first 3 quarters it seemed like New Orleans was driving and scoring at will at times, and we were finally getting some key stops in the 4th quarter.

Charlotte leads 1-0 in the finals!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote