View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
cschex
High School Varsity

A breakdown of my current first team (and key youngsters) by position:

Goalkeepers

Morgan de Sanctis, 34 yr old Italian, 2 caps - Brought over from Inter Milan last season, he replaced outgoing #1 Hector Carini and had a decent season, averaging a 7.07 and registering 15 shutouts in 49 games. However, he is 34 and does seem to let in the occasional awful goal. Still, there is no one better right now, so he is the man between the posts.

Federico Agliardi, 28 yr old Italian, 9 U21 caps - Came over from Brescia three seasons ago on a free transfer and has been a model backup, despite only making 25 first team appearances in that time. His contract runs out after the season and I will probably let him leave, preferring one of my younger, cheaper keepers for the #2 job.

Vito Mannone, 22 yr old Italian, 8 U21 caps
Pablo Rochi, 23 yr old Mexican, uncapped - Both of these players are listed for loan and whoever has the better season and looks better in pre-season next year will be the number 2 keeper. Not sold on either as a long-term solution, so we are still looking for the successor to De Sanctis

Starter - De Sanctis

Central Defenders

Curtis Davies, 26 yr old Sierra Leonean, 14 caps - The current hot defender in the real life Premiership has been capped by Sierra Leone in this game. Came over on a free transfer from WBA last season and put up a 7.00 rating in 34 appearances. Probably relegated to 3rd choice based on new signings, still someone I would like to keep around for a long time.

Robert Huth, 26 yr old German, 18 caps/1 goal - The imposing German comes over from Chelsea via Everton, where he spent the last three seasons on loan. During that time, he never averaged less than a 7.40 for the Tofees, so we expect him to anchor a backline that had problems leaking in goals last season. With the exception of only decent acceleration, has everything you'd ever want in a dominant central defender.

Hedwiges Maduro, 26 yr old Dutchman, 27 caps - Maduro is the other major signing this off-season, coming over from Ajax Amsterdam, where he posted a 7.76 rating last season for the Dutch champions. Though he has the ability to play defensive midfielder, he will line up exclusively as a centre-half due to our depth in the midfield. He is very similar to Huth, with a little more speed and a bit less of a physical presence. The two will hopefully form one of the best pairings in Serie A.

Alex, 29 yr old Brazilian, 15 U21 caps - Alex was the first BIG signing of my Bologna tenure. The former PSV man has been a rock for us the last two seasons, but seemed to be losing a step towards the end of last season and is likely be the third choice behind the two new boys to begin the season.

Projected Starters - Huth, Maduro. Though no one is very old here, I am always on the lookout for a young, star-caliber defender.

Last edited by cschex : 07-11-2006 at 10:13 PM.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote