View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
cschex
High School Varsity

Fullbacks

Miguel, 31 yr old Portuguese, 28 caps – Miguel was a pleasant surprise for Bologna last year, as he ended the season as our starter at right-back after being signed only for depth at the beginning of the season. Still, his ratings aren’t anything great and he is getting up in years. He will probably start the season at right-back, but will have a short leash.

Umuru Bangura, 23 yr old Sierra Leonean, 12 caps – Bangura is my most versatile player on the defensive line, as he is a natural at all three defensive positions (and defensive midfield, as well). He has played mostly at right-back the last few seasons and will probably see the most amount of time there this season, though he could fill in at center back if a rash of injuries and/or poor form hits.

Maxim Geurden, 20 yr old Belgian, 12 U21 caps – The heir-apparent at right-back, the only thing keeping him from the first team right now is a rough start last season and some low mental attributes. Still, he has all of the technical skills, and will probably be in the rotation before the end of the season

Avine, 23 yr old Brazilian, 12 U21 caps – This exciting left-back just completed a 4 million Euro switch to Bologna from Internacional in the Brazilian league. He is being compared in the media to a young Fabio Aurelio, the incredible Valencia left-back. He also likes to get forwards and is equally comfortable at a attacking position on the left. He will be the starter at the beginning of the season.

Fabio Kerkini, 22 yr old Italian, 11 U21 caps – Last year’s starter at left-back, he just doesn’t have the attributes of a good left-back at the continental level. He’s young and continuing to develop, so hopefully he will get there soon. For now, he will be a very good back up to Avine.

Probable Starters – Miguel, Avine

Defensive/Holding Midfielders – My primary formation is a 4-2-3-1, similar to what France ran in the World Cup. My holding midfielders have to command the center of the field, pass and tackle very well, cover the defense and occasionally join the attack. My desire for this type of player has left me with five excellent players for my two starting spots.

Nik Besagno, 22 yr old American, 16 caps/1 goal – My favorite player and future captain, Besagno was a player I groomed into a star at Real Salt Lake before leaving for Italy. Brought over here three seasons ago, he has blossomed in the traditional defensive midfielder role, despite having injury setbacks in two of those seasons. He has the ability to contribute more on the offensive end, but for now his skills are concentrated more defensively.

Johannes Djourou, 24 yr old Ivorian, 3 caps/ 1 goal – Starting the season as 4th choice and likely to be sold, Djourou stepped up after a rash of injuries and proved to be my most consistent player, earning a spot on the Serie A Team of the Year. He added a surprising 6 goals and 6 assists in all competitions, making him the most well-rounded midfielder on my squad. Though the competition in this spot is fierce, he’s earned the right to begin the season as the starter.

Celio Junior, 24 yr old Brazilian, uncapped – A more offensive-style ball distributor and long-range shooter, Celio will provide good depth here and get his share of starts. He’s the most talented of any of the midfielders on the squad, but nagging injuries last season kept him from a regular place in the lineup.

Loic Poujol, 22 yr old Frenchman, 15 U21 caps – A new signing from Sochaux, he is a redundant luxury but I couldn’t pass up his superb skill set and excellent mental make-up. I might try to loan him out this season and see who plays themselves out of a job in my midfield, but he definitely has a future here.

Massimo Loviso, 27 yr old Italian, 6 U21 caps – The oldest and least-talented of the five, Loviso wouldn’t even be in the picture if not for my needing at least 4 “homegrown” players for European competition. Still, he puts up solid 7’s when he plays, and can even play right midfield when I run a traditional 4-4-2. He’s strictly a back-up.

Probable Starters – Besagno, Djourou
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote