View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #9
cschex
High School Varsity

August ‘11

An extraordinarily strange bug in the game just happened that I had never seen before. In chasing after young defender Aldo Bellini, I agreed to a 4.1M transfer fee with Torino but Sampadoria kept refusing to negotiate, even as I went above 6M. Then, after I offered 7.5 million (my final offer), they countered and said they’d accept 4M for Bellini. My only guess is that the clock just changed to August and they want/need the extra income quickly and they’ve already agreed to such a fee with Roma. Otherwise it doesn’t make much sense. Anyway, we’ve offered a contract to the 18 yr old well above what I’d normally pay for youth talent, but I want to be sure to sway him from Roma. Hopefully we’ll know in a few days.

I’m drawn against Basel from the Swiss league in the 3rd round of Chamipons League Qualifying. While not the easiest of sides in the draw, I should have no problem dispatching then in the two-leg competition. We play the first leg at the Renato Dall’Ara (my home stadium) on August 10.

Hmm, Bellini snubbed my contract offer, despite offering him almost 7K a week, saying he wants a more lucrative salary and significant bonus payments for first team appearances. I’m pretty loose with my salary budget since I normally save a lot of money in transfer fees, but I might give this up if I have to go through protracted negotiations to get him.

Enough of petulant young defenders who don’t want to play here, it’s time for the first competitive match of the season

August 10, Champions League 3rd Round Qualifying First Leg v. Basel

GK: De Sanctis
Def: Miguel, Huth, Davies, Avine
DM: Djourou, Celio Junior
AM: Vantaggiato, Baykal, Borriello
F: Cipriani

We come out in our 4-5-1, hoping to take the game to the Swiss side. Of course that doesn’t happen, and some awful defending leads to a quick goal off a header for them in the 10th minute. De Sanctis came out and was caught in no man’s land. Djourou tries to answer in the 16th minute, but his open header from 4 yards is off-target. Less than two minutes later, Cipriani wins a free kick on the edge of the box. Borriello takes the kick and forces a great save by the keeper, but Vantaggiato pounces on the rebound and deflects it in the net off a Basel defender. In the 38th minute we strike again, as Baykal throws in to Cipriani on the right side, then receives the return pass, dribbles through three defenders to the edge of the bow, and beats the goalie short-side with an amazingly-placed shot. The whistle blows with Bologna leading 2-1

We sub on Kitambala for Cipriani at half-time for fitness reasons. We get only one decent chance in the next 25 minutes, then decide to sub on Mota and Poujol for Borriello and Celio Junior. We give up some clear chances to them over the next few minutes, but they fail to capitalize. The defense is looking sluggish, especially on the wings. However, a moment of brilliance from Baykal finds Kitambala free at the top of the box in the 78th minute, and the Frenchman buries a perfect strike in the upper-left hand corner to give us a two-goal edge. Three minutes later, Mota wins a ball on the left and send Avine free down the wings, who then sends a great cross to Vantaggiato to one-time into the net for his second goal. We finally look to be clicking on offense. In the 84th minute, Mota runs down the left side off a restart and send the ball into Vantaggiato again, who banks the ball off the keeper for his first career hat-trick! He finished last season as our most threatening player and has started this season on an even higher note. There is no more action and the game ends with Bologna dominating 5-1.

Vantaggiato is the obvious MotM and rates a perfect 10. My entire backline, Djourou, Baykal and Kitambala rate 8’s, and everyone else rates a 7. We looked shaky at times, but our quality really showed at the end of the match.

Unfortunately, Ali Onur Baykal picked up an injury in the waning moments of the game and will now be out about 4 weeks. Luckily, Ton is an established performer, so the drop-off shouldn’t be much, if any.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote