View Single Post
Old 07-19-2006, 01:09 PM   #15
cschex
High School Varsity

It’s time for the last competitive international break before this summer’s European Championships. My Belgian squad plays at Germany and then, in the final game of the group, hosts Armenia. We effectively need just one point in the two matches to clinch a playoff spot, but victories in both would win us the group as Germany is playing their last match against us. Unfortunately, we fall 3-1 to the Germans, as Lukas Podolski scores a brace and an aging Michael Ballack also gets on the scoresheet. We really need to win against Armenia, who we won’t be taking for granted

Massimo Loviso returns to full training after missing the last three months with a torn calf muscle, the same injury De Sanctis has. Hopefully his recovery will be as quick.

We almost get a fatal shock from an upstart Armenian team, who score an early goal and keep denying us chance after chance. It is only an 82nd minute goal from little-used Anthony Cavallo that levels the match 1-1. Due to Scotland’s draw with Ukraine, we advance to play Ireland in the Playoff for Euro ’12.

October 16 Match #7 @ Modena

GK: Agliardi
Def: Miguel, Huth, Maduro, Avine
DM: Djourou, Besagno
AM: Filipe, Ton, Devisscher
F: Kitambala

I rest some starters today as we should win handily over Modena, who hasn’t finished higher than 15th in their four seasons in Serie A. Kitambala steals the ball in midfield, dribbles around his defender, and banks the shot off the post and into the net in the 17th minute. However, Maduro is called for a foul in the box in the 42nd minute and they convert the penalty. We get no less than 6 excellent shots on goal during the second half, and every one of them is stopped. Their keeper wins MotM as we stumble to a shocking 1-1 draw.

October 19, Champions League Group B @ Rangers

Def: Miguel, Huth, Maduro, Avine
DM: Poujol, Celio Junior
AM: Vantaggiato, Baykal, Mota
F: Cipriani

Davies and Bangura are on duty with Sierra Leone and Alex is ineligible, so Kerkeni is my only backup defender here. In the 3rd minute, Huth pulls down their player on a breakaway in the box and is re-darded for his efforts. Baykal is sacrificed for Besagno, who comes in at the center of defense. Luckily, El-Hadji Diouf strikes the penalty kick straight into Agliardi’s body. In the 16th minute, Mota does some neat tricks on the left to get free and send in a cross to Poujol, who heads it past the keeper for the lead. 3 minutes later, Cirpiani is the first to get to a deflected Mota cross and poke it into the net, doubling our advantage. Mota is terrorizing the right side of the Rangers defense. In the 41st minute, Avine sends a long ball over the defense for Mota again, who gets it and sends a first-time cross to a streaking Vantaggiato, who scores an impressive goal. Mota is on fire! Early in the second half, Besagno is judged to have fouled Szabics in the box and Rangers is awarded a penalty. Szabics doesn’t miss this one, and our lead is cut to 3-1. Both sides get a couple more chances each, but the whistle blows with Bologna running out 3-1 victors.

Mota rates a 9 along with Avine, and unsurprisingly wins MotM. We move into second place in Group B with 6 points. Bayern has 9, Shakhtar 3 and Rangers 0. Huth is suspended for the next CL match due to his red card.

October 23, Match #8 @ Lecce

Def: Miguel, Huth, Maduro, Kerkeni
DM: Poujol, Besagno
AM: Vantaggiato, Ton, Devisscher
F: Cipriani

Lecce is currently 18th in the table, but I’m not going to make the same mistake I did with Modena and start all of my back-ups. In the 18th minute, Devisscher runs down the left and provides a great ball for Cipriani in the box. Our poacher doesn’t miss from there and makes it 1-0. We get quite a few more chances in the next 60 minutes but the next goal doesn’t come until the 79th minute, when Kerkeni sends a cross into the box. Baykal heads it back to Besagno standing just outside the 18, and Nik curls it into the far post for a wonderful goal. In the 87th minute a mishandled cross by their keeper allows sub Kitambala to poke the ball into the empty net. They grab one back late in stoppage time but we roll out comfortable 3-1 victors.

Besagno rates a 9 and gets MotM honors. Five other players rate an 8. After the win we are in second place, one point behind Milan and tied on points with Inter, but with a +8 goal differential.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote