cschex
High School Varsity

November 6, Match #11 @ Cesana

GK: Agliardi
Def: Miguel, Huth, Maduro, Avine
DM: Celio, Djourou
AM: Vantaggiato, Baykal, Borriello
F: Cipriani

Cesana is a decent mid-table side but we should be able to secure a win here before the international break. Boy, am I wrong. Cipriani hits the post twice in the first 15 minutes and it is a sign for things to come. The first half comes to a close with Bologna completely dominating possession, but unable to put the ball in the net. In the 51st minute Diego Galvan hits a long shot which Agliardi is slow to react to and puts Cesana up by one. Kitambala, in for Cipriani, hits the crossbar in the 71st minute. In stoppage time, Papa Waigo puts the game out of reach by beating Agliardi again. We slump to a 2-0 defeat.

Only 4 players rate a 7 and I tear my team a new one in the post-game talk.

The international break comes and my Belgium squad has a playoff against Ireland, while I shop around for a new keeper come January. In a nice bit of news, De Sanctic is recovering faster than expected and could be back in training by the end of December.

I agree to a preliminary deal with Botafoga for their Brazilian keeper Renan for 3.9M. We’ll see if he’s allowed to come over since I’ve already signed one non-EU player this season.

Belgium demolishes Ireland 5-2 aggregate to move on to the Euro Championship 2012. Fellow playoff victors are Wales (over FYROM), Bulgaria (over Finland), Austria (over Romania) and Slovakia (over Iceland). The draw will be held next month.

In more surprising injury news, Bruno Mota has resumed full training only three weeks after his injury, despite the initial prognosis having him out for 2 months. I’m going to have to get my physios a raise, I think. On the other side of the spectrum, Massimo Loviso hurt himself in training after just getting back to full health, and is out for another month.

Due to rescheduling I’m off until the 23rd vs. Shakhtar in the Champions League. In that time, I come to a preliminary agreement with a Brazilian goalkeeper to move here when the transfer window re-opens. I’ll write up the details when it is finalized in January.

November 23, Champions League Group B @ Shakhtar

Def: Miguel, Huth, Maduro, Kerkeni
DM: Besagno, Poujol
AM: Vogel, Baykal, Devisscher
F: Cipriani

Mota is at 90% health but I will rest him until the weekend Serie A game. We start off strong and Cipriani puts it in the net in the 25th minute, but he is whistled for offside. Shakhtar pick up their pace in the closing stages of the first half and almost score due to breakdowns in midfield, but Agliardi comes up with some great saves on Darijo Srna to keep the game scoreless. In the 49th minute, Miguel plays a great-first time cross into the box which Cipriani heads right to an unmarked Baykal, who slots it home. He breaks a tie with Cipriani to become the out-right goal scoring leader for Bologna this season. In the 60th minute, Cipriani again shows off his passing skills as he takes a throw in deep on the left side of the field and sends a perfectly weighted ball to Baykal, who strikes it from the edge of the box just inside the far post for the brace. Nothing else of note happens and we win a relatively easy 2-0 game.

Maduro rates a 9 for a commanding performance in the back and wins MotM. Every other starter except Vogel gets an 8.

We have qualified from our group into the first knockout round and if we can beat Bayern in the last game we will win the group outright.

November 27, Match #12 @ Udinese

GK: Rochi
Def: Miguel, Huth, Maduro, Avine
DM: Besagno, Celio
AM: Vantaggiato, Ton, Devisscher
F: Kitambala

Udinese is having an awful season, sitting last in the table with only 7 points. In the 8th minute, Devisscher steals the ball from former Bologna player Yaya Toure in midfield and pokes it ahead to Kitambala, who is in the clear. He doesn’t miss in his one-on-one opportunity and right away we are leading. In the 23rd minute, Miguel’s long cross from the right seemingly overshoots everyone but Devisscher races in and heads it back across the goalmouth into the far corner to double the lead. Ten minutes later Devisscher is fouled in the box and Avine steps up and converts the penalty for his first ever Rossoblu goal. Devisscher is having an excellent game thus far. We almost score again in stoppage time as Celio is stopped point-blank by the Udinese keeper. Unfortunately, Rochi gets hurt in the 53rd minute so Agliardi comes on to replace him. Immediately, he makes a good save on Milito in the box to force a corner. There is no other action except Mota being denied a few minutes after he comes on as a sub, and Bologna takes an easy 3-0 win.

Vantaggiato rates a 9 and wins MotM. I notice Mota picked up a late-game injury, which doesn’t bode well.

Indeed, Bruno will be out for the next three weeks. Well, that’s certainly annoying. Rochi will miss the next month as well, so young Vito Mannone becomes the backup to Agliardi as we limp towards January.

Before our game with Cagliari, I get notices that a few of our players have only seven months left on their existing contracts. The most noticeable include De Sanctis, Kitambala, Miguel, Borriello, and Rochi. For now, I only tender Kitambala a 3 year offer with a slight raise in it. De Sanctis will depend on how he looks post injury and, though I love what Borriello has done for the team, he seems out of sorts in the tactic I am running now. I decide to offer Miguel a one-year extension, as he is sought after by no less than four teams and has been stellar for me this season.

November 30, Italian Cup First Knockout Round First Leg v. Cagliari

It’s time to get some of my promising youngsters some game experience with the first team, as I should have little trouble with Cagliari.

Def: Geurden, Alex, Romano, Fer
DM: Djourou, Bangura
AM: Estrada, Vogel, Angeli
F: Milano

We start off well, as Geurden sends a cross that Milano gets a head onto in the 9th minute. Unfortunately, their keeper is up to the task and parries it over the bar. We dominate possession but despite good chances, can’t put the ball away. I bring in Baykal for Vogel to try and spark things at the half. We continue to control the game, but are stopped just short of scoring. Angeli has a great chance off a Geurden cross in the 73rd minute but his powerful header is tipped just around the post. The final seconds tick off and our youngsters slump to a 0-0 draw.

Angeli rates out only 8 and wins MotM. Not an awful showing, but I will need to play the first team in the return leg away to ensure passage to the next round.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote