View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #14
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
The light would be too diffused by the time it reaches the ground and would be practically canceled out by the moons own light.

QS seems to be describing a pretty focused beam of light (if it's coming from the plane), so it wouldn't be "diffused" (that's not the right word to use....but I can't think of what the right word is....) by the time it reached the ground.

I'm imagining something similar to Iridium flairs. Here's a video of one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PFUP5LPyuA

That's caused by sun light hitting the antenna on the satellite - well, 3 of them, 188 cm wide x 86 cm long x 4 cm thick each, and from the perspective of the satellite, the bright "spotlight" would be constant (at least for awhile until the angle changed or it moved out of the sun's light). If there's something far less reflective, but similar, on the airplane, moon light could cause something like that but much dimmer.

But yeah, I have no idea if anything on an airplane could do a much smaller but similar effect. It's pure speculation.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote