View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #210
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

July 31, 2012
With the pre-season officially ending in less than a week, with a reserve friendly and a U18 friendly remaining, and with numerous players in need of improved match fitness, I decide it's time to deal with our trialists.

ST Darryn Stamp - Definitely want to keep him around, a veteran presence who played well. He's asking $450 p.a. & $450 goal bonus, I counter with $300/$350, he comes back with $375/$375, I counter $325/350 ... and he considers that "miles apart" and withdraws from talks. Touchy bastard isn't he?

D Ian Breckin - Didn't see as much of him as we should have frankly, but I like the veteran presence he could provide. He's asking $475/wk + $45 p.a. ... I counter with $350 + $80 p.a. ... he comes back with $425 + $80 ... I'll try once more, at $400 + $80 ... He's at $425 + $80 ... and we agree on $425 + $70 + 40% of any sell-on (I've yet to successfully sell a player)

MF Michael Pook - I'd love to keep the guy as he'd probably be very useful in at both CMF and MR but the whole "he's having trouble motivating himself to play for me" thing sticks in my craw. No offer

DR Will Salmon - His passing isn't really good enough for him to be as offensive as I like. No offer & we terminate his trial.

MF Marc Canham - Would like to keep him, one of the more talented guys with the squad at the moment ... but the whole "not motivated to play for me" thing is persistent. No offer.

MF Neil Barrett - See Canham, Marc above

DR Paul Robson - Arguably the best defender we've got and he played quite well at this level for Lincoln last season. But his asking price of $525 p.a. is beyond the pale. We offer $325 + $250 goal bonus and he immediately withdraws from talks. Figured as much but I wasn't going to pay him anything like that.

MF Steven Morrison - The rest of the staff isn't impressed with the 23 y/o veteran of the Welsh leagues, but I loved what I saw of him against quality competition vs Bradford. He's asking $250 p.a. + $230 goal bonus, I offer $200 p.a. + $250 goal ... he counters with $210 p.a. + $250 goal and I accept.

ST/MF Belal Aite-Ouakrim - A tough riddle for me. He's a better dribbler with better technique than nearly anyone we've got, better than average pace for us too. I like those qualities quite a bit. But his decision making (2) is awful, and nearly all aspects of his mental game are weak to downright very weak. When I see he's asking for $475 p.a. the decision is obvious. No offer.

DR Kevin Lee - Versatile player who could contribute at both D and MF but he's also another of those players who apparently thinks my stature as a coach is beneath their talents. No offer.

Final tally: 10 players in on trial, 2 end up signed (assuming they dot the i's as agreed), 2 end up walking away from the table, 6 end up without an offer for one reason or another.