Thread: Board Games
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 01:20 AM   #236
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreghorn2 View Post
I'd be willing to bet that board games have reached a level where i would be genuinely surprised by the amount of options available in the adult gaming market.

You have no idea lol. First, I will second the suggestions of Battle Line and Lost Cities, both fantastic 2 player card games. But I'd recommend getting a couple pure board games instead of all card games if you're like me and like cool boards and pieces.

Here are a few suggestions based on my preference of games and my wife who plays with me as well. This is assuming you plan to play strictly two player for now as playing with more opens up thousands of more options.

Dominion: A game in which you buy cards that go into your deck (now the hottest current mechanic in board gaming called deckbuilding). Very easy game to learn, that pretty much everyone likes or loves. I personally prefer thunderstone, but Dominion is better for wives and to start out with. I would definitely recommend this game, though again, it is a pure card game.

Summoner Wars- One of my favorite games. It is a tactical battle of fantasy armies that uses cards. It has simple rules and fairly deep play. Some randomness, but the better player will win almost all the time. It is highly confrontational and has the fantasy theme, so if that scares your wife off, look elsewhere. If you do like the way it sounds, I recommend getting the master set which comes with a deluxe board and nice box. I personally have all 14 armies, but that is certainly not needed to start with.

Agricola: This is a euro style game. It is decently complex, but not too bad and it flows well. Works great with two players. Additionally, the family/farming theme does typically appeal to wives. Not too confrontational other than taking your opponents desired spots.

Claustrophobia- A two player dungeon crawl style game, but with streamlined rules and really awesome miniatures and pieces. It comes with a dozen or so scenarios, but many more can be found online, both official and unofficial. Again, though, this game is highly confrontational and has a fantasy theme.

Stone Age - This uses the mechanic called worker placement (agricola does also) in which players take turns placing their meeples (guys) on different spots on the board. Then they take turns executing the actions of their meeples. This one is a great introductory worker placement and one of my wife's favorite games. works well with two, though I prefer it with more.

Pandemic, Forbidden Island, Defenders of the Realm: All three games use the same base mechanic and are fully cooperative. I own Pandemic and Defenders of the realm and would rank them Defenders, Pandemic and Forbidden, but Pandemic is the best combination of simple rules, depth and wife friendliness.

Samurai- A fun area control / tile placement style game. Works great for two.

Last edited by Danny : 12-28-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote