View Single Post
Old 06-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #259
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
Things have been good and bad around here...my knee surgery was April 18th, so I'm about 6 1/2 weeks out and it's finally getting back to normal. Radii has been awesome handling things around the house, and Anthony was also a huge help. I'm glad to be back up and moving around again though.

The end of the school year was rough...there was the cheating incident I posted about at the regular board, which turned out to be a much bigger deal than we had originally thought. On top of that, he went back to his old ways and was getting mulitple check marks every week. It got to the point where we would ask him every night if he had gotten a check mark (his teacher wouold say "you just got a check mark for that" or something similar) and he'd say no, but on Friday come home with 2 or (usually) more checks. We'd question Anthony at length and he'd insist that he either didn't remember or didn't know that he'd gotten checks...or he'd say they all happened that day. After talking to his teacher repeatedly about this we found out that he did know and was lying about it. So we had multiple issues to address...long story short he ended up grounded for 3 weeks, no end of soccer season parties, and a number of things taken away long term (xbox was the big one). Last day of school (end of grounding) finally arrives and despite all of this he has made honor roll again so all in all the school year ended on a good note.

He's been giving me attitude again lately, which irritates me to no end. The other day he was playing with a toy sword which he had been playing with in the dirt and stuff. He put the blade of the sword to his lips and I told him not to put the sword in his mouth. He said he wasn't, and I explained that putting something against his lips was the same thing as putting it in his mouth b/c of the way the germs would get in, etc...he continues to argue with me until I start to get stern, at which point he rolls his eyes and says "what - ever" in this nasty voice. I stood there for a few seconds and then just reached out and smacked him across the cheek...not hard, but enough to make him realize that I was pissed, and then I lectured him for a few minutes about attitude and respect. I know I had an attitude when I was younger, but I know that I never talked to my parents that way until I was about 10 years old...I've seen this attitude in other kids too and am just shocked at how early it's starting. If he's like this at 8 1/2, what is he going to be like in his teens/high school????

I feel for you there a little bit....I think it's the generation now...my 9 year old acts that way at home, but not at school...

We have Capoeira to take away now, which to her is the world. However, since we started her in it, the fits and such, has toned down drastically...