View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 03:06 PM   #700
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
There are so many times I see people speaking of their different opinions, and in some cases when I couldn't possibly be any more in disagreement, I can understand the opinion and why they feel that way. With this though, I simply don't.

CU, one of your earlier posts was all about your responsibility as a man/husband/father to protect your family. You have weapons at many entrances of your house to aid in providing that level of protection. But you simply can't protect them all the time, and none of us can. Your wife and your children will go to school, to work, to the movies, to the mall, to a concert, etc and as husbands and fathers, all we want is for them to come home, hopefully with a smile on their face.

I simply do not believe that if, god forbid, your wife or children ever found themselves in one of these awful, horrifying situations when you were not with them, that your stance wouldn't change. I'm sorry, I just don't. I can't imagine any father hearing the news that there was a shooting at their child's school, racing down to the school not knowing what the fuck is going on, and having your thankfully healthy child run into your arms with tears pouring down their face after the experience they just went through, and your thought afterward is "eh, the status quo is just fine".

I truly, honestly hope I never find out that I was right.

I appreciate your position. I actually had to ponder this earlier this (school) year. My daughter's middle school went on lock down after a convict crashed while evading police (after killing his spouse the night before) and running through the woods that were roughly a mile away. Police lost him, and knowing proximity to the school ordered it on lock down. I was 5 hours away with work. My daughter was texting me, scared shitless. She is 14. I jumped in the truck and left the job headed North. I called my brother and foster father who live an hour away each. By the time the school was released both were there, and may or may not have came armed for a fight.

Luckily the dude was caught in the woods and it turns out was not even the reason for the lockdown. The lockdown actually happened because of a coincidental fake threat of a gun call. But the above was what we "knew at the time"...further illustrates the fog "in the moment"

The take away?

You are damn right I hugged my daughter extra that night. I broke down when she said "The only thing I could think was I wish Daddy was here".

Never once did it cross my mind that guns should be banned. It did cross my mind that whoever terrorized those kids with the prank call both them and their parents should have been punished. Severely.

Again, we (you and I) are just wired differently. It isnt, in my eyes, good or bad - right or wrong. Just different. I'm a run towards guy, many are a run from. Neither is right. Its each's nature.

I dont believe in combating an enemy by regulating its disarmament. I think it is 100% impossible to obliterate guns in this country. Impossible. Based on that I choose to engage the enemy by out arming them.

That's really as simply as I can put it. Id rather die fighting than live running.

I will say this, if you could 100% guarantee me that all guns were gone from all criminals. I would consider to surrender everything but basic hunting fare that I own. Since you cant, I will arm and prepare to battle that enemy and I will wish that every single law abiding citizen do the same.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote