View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #27
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC had a tough QB decision so I decided to give both 99 rated QB's a chance to play in the 1st quarter. They both played well but Spencer did a bit more and got to play the rest of the way and will be our starter throughout.

All was not lost for James Johnson though as he is now the #2 QB and a backup WR. He finished with 6 of 9 passes completed for 83 yards and he caught 3 passes late in the game for 31 yards and a TD.

However, he was not the only 2 way player this game. I somehow missed that starting QB Walter Spencer is so athletic that he was put in as the #5 CB in my depth chart. Late in the 2nd quarter when we were tired, he was out there on the field and he got burnt bad by a WR. I decided to give him one more opportunity to play DB in the 3rd quarter because I thought it would be fun to have him get a pick, but he got burnt again and will hopefully never see the field at DB again this year...

However, as a QB, he was spectacular. He ran 11 times for 118 yards and 4 TD's. He completed 36 of 52 passes for 610 yards, 8 TD's 0 INT's and 0 sacks.

SR RB Jordan Richard added 11 carries for 77 yards and 2 TD's.

SR Speedster WR Tye White used his speed on a deep ball but also showed the ability to catch the short and intermediate passes and finished with 13 catches for 271 yards and 3 TD's.

Freshman Speed WR T.J. Adams used his big 6'4 foot frame to block off defenders on runs and also added 10 catches for 114 yards and 2 TD's.

In total, we had 11 different WR's, TE's, and RB's catch passes with 5 of them finding the endzone.

Our 2nd string defense got torched at times but our 1st string defense played very very well. We had 2 pick 6's and a 3rd interception with SR Jordan Burks getting us started with an acrobatic interception and an amazing return for the TD in which he weaved through several guys.

Sophomore DT Caleb Atkins was absolutely unblockable as the DT powered his way through their line time and time again and finished with 6 sacks. In total as a team, we finished with 9 sacks.

Star CB Eric Allen finally looks like he will live up to his billing as he smothered his man and also had 1 of our picks. His was the only one that was not a pick 6 as he caught it on the sideline and barely got the feet in bounds.

Our special teams return game was the only semi-disappointing part of the date as our returner was generally bottled up and will make me look to see if anyone else can do the job better.

Final score: USC 112, ND 14 (thanks in part to Spencer giving up a 55 yard bomb.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-24-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote