View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #33
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC played one of our most impressive halves of football ever in the 1st against Oklahoma. In the 1st quarter, we had more picks against their QB than he had completions as we held him to 1 of 11. Our offense was perfect and we were up 28-0.

In the 2nd quarter, we continued to dominate defensively with sack after sack. We had 10 before the half. We also held them to incompletion after incompletion and 3 and outs. They finished the half with only 2 completions and 3 interceptions and our offense remained nearly perfect as we jumped to a 63-0 halftime lead. At the half, we allowed 1 yard of offense and had over 500.

In the 2nd half, I decided to work on some new running plays and we had a bad fumble. Also, my QB threw his 1st pick of the year. We also slowed down our tempo a bit as we tried to rest our tired defense.

We cruised to an 87-7 win over Oklahoma.

A few defensive stat lines that stood out:

Sophomore LB Sterling Brown who is now a key piece of our defense had 11 tackles, 6 for a loss, and 3 sacks.

JR DE Adam Burns had 6 sacks (several of them due to outstanding coverage.)

RS Sophomore DT Caleb Atkins continued his great season with 3 more sacks.

As a whole, our defense finished with 14 and we were definitely gassed in the 4th.

Eric Allen is shutting down his side of the field and teams are throwing to the other side. Star JR CB C.J. Johnson capitalized with 2 more picks to add to his 1 from last week.

True Freshman CB Jeff Wilson got his first 2 career picks and looks like he will be a very good CB for us!

SR SS Josh Huff got one of his few career picks as he separated the ball from the WR and then caught the deflection!

Our return game clicked this time including a 101 yard kick off return to start the game that was called back due to clipping.

Spencer completed 51 of 67 passes for 596 yards with 11 TD's and 1 INT (stupid decision by me when I thought I could force it into a tiny window.) On the downside, he did take 5 sacks this game which cut into his rushing totals which were only 13 carries for 65 yards.

SR RS starting HB Jordan Richard had a 78 yard TD run to finish with 9 carries for 136 yards and a TD. He would have had a lot more but he was exhausted by the 4th quarter and I could not get him to return. In fact, by the 4th quarter, I was down to my 6th string HB which happens to be my backup QB...

RS Freshman T.J. Adams was our biggest target this week, the big WR had 12 catches for 157 yards and 3 TD's.

Speedy SR WR Tye White had a few drops (only got credited with 1) and also got dinged up late so he only had 8 catches for 141 yards and 2 TD's which were almost all in the 1st half.

JR TE Mike Harris had 6 catches for 96 yards and 2 TD's.

Backup HB/Kick returner Carlos Sewell had 3 receiving TD's and almost had a rushing TD.

Again 11 different guys with receptions including backup QB James Johnson who caught 1 out of the backfield.

I'm really liking what my defense can do when they aren't tired. Look forward to maybe being able to slow down Indiana's rushing attack this year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote