View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 02:51 AM   #40
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I did some experimenting -- it's god mode after all -- and had the St. Paul Loons -- who have never won a title -- go and sign a bunch of veterans who are still quite good. I have my aging settings at .500 or at least, I used to. It resulted in a lot of older guys lasting a lot longer than they needed to.

Anyway, a bunch of them all went to St. Paul where payroll is now around $250m and not surprisingly, the team is threatening to win more games than any other team.

What's bananas -- I didn't realize this -- the all-time wins record has held up since 1867. The Loons are a Nationwide League team and on September 1st already had 115 wins. The all-time record by a team was set by the 1869 and 1870 New York Gothams that both won 123 games. The 2058 Great Plains Flycatchers tied them on winning percentage (.759) but that team "only" won 120 games.

So St. Paul is in unprecedented territory with 15 games left in the regular season.

I can't even conceptualize a team breaking a record that's lasted 394 years, and how no team has won more games up to this point. Alas, here we are. Breaking the win percentage mark that was tied last in 2053 is a 210 year old record itself.

So this Loons club is certainly historic, but without a title, how will we regard their dominance? None of those previous teams had to play in a league with 36 teams, with expanded playoffs like we have now. If the Loons run the table, they'll have earned it.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 3.51.28 AM.png (159.0 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-01-2017 at 02:52 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote