View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 05:01 PM   #12
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

26 August 2017

For Club and Country

I'm not used to managing big clubs in Football Manager. If one of my teams had a player called up for international duty, it was a HUGE deal. My Galway United club might have four or five youth internationals at a time.

Things sure are different now...!

Ten Winterhoven players will report to their national teams for World Cup Qualifying group play next week. Twelve more have been summoned for national duty as their teams qualify for the Under 21 World Cup. And another five have been selected to represent their countries at the Under 19 level!

Apparently Joé Calvignac is eligible to play for Poland, and he's chosen to represent that nation instead of his native Liechtenstein. We are disappointed with Joé's choice. He might have gone on to be a national treasure, the greatest player in the Principality's history! Frédéric Laroche will, however, proudly wear Luxembourg's colors.*

Anthony Salvati is angry, because he was left out of the United States squad. He would have been in line to earn his 70th cap. René Kjærsgaard is also an international veteran, with 62 appearances for Denmark to his credit.

Geert van der Vlist, with 3 caps, is the only Winterhoven player to represent Holland at the senior level. It looks like we'll have several international debuts to celebrate in the weeks to come. Ten Blues have represented their nations at the youth level.

It's going to be fun to follow our players' international careers, too!

* We watched a Luxembourg-Liechtenstein UEFA Nations League match this weekend. We've decided watching small nations' national sides is a lot of fun.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 10-12-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote