View Single Post
Old 10-13-2020, 10:27 AM   #13
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

The Back Room

I'm also getting used to having and managing a large back room staff. When you Create a Club on FM, you have the option of keeping the model club's back room staff, or stripping it bare and picking your own. We decided to create an entirely new staff: new coaches, new scouts, new physios.

Let's meet the team that's supporting and training the Winterhoven first team, on and off the pitch.

My managerial alter ego is 35 years old. I hold a Continental Pro license and I earned 24 caps for Holland in my playing career. I didn't score a goal, and I'm not a good goalkeeping coach, so I'm envisioning myself as a center back. I'm 6'3", so that wouldn't be a bad fit.

Strikwerda, my assistant manager, is an excellent right hand man: an astute judge of talent and an inspirational leader who can motivate our players to give their best effort. Capped twice by Holland, Roy also brings with him thorough knowledge of Belgium, Germany, and the Scandinavian countries. If Roy doesn't aspire to manage a club himself--his biography doesn't indicate that aspiration--I can see myself keeping the former Feyenoord man by my side for a long time.

We looked for a HOYD with a positive personality, and found Visser, who does his job with a Professional attitude that I hope will rub off on our youth players. John is a fine judge of both current and potential ability, and he works well with young players. A club like Winterhoven needs a boss in this role, and in Visser, we have one.

Veteran goalkeeping coach van der Beek does one job, and he does it superbly. He's not very good with young players, but that's the only weakness in his otherwise ideal skill set. Bas has acquired knowledge of Portugal, Russia, and China over the course of his long career.

Hellemons caught our eye because he is not only skilled at fitness training, but he is also a strong disciplinarian and a persuasive motivator. "Anyone who does fitness training would recognize why a fitness coach would need those qualities," says my son Jack, who features as a goalkeeper/small forward/hurdler-thrower at various times in a (normal) athletic year.

Schenk is a well-rounded coach who works primarily on the tactical side of the game. His Fairly Professional personality and his talent-spotting skills also make him a valuable member of our staff.

Wouters was a huge get for our club. He is a master of the mental aspects of football, so he's naturally a powerful motivator. His eye for talent is exemplary. Mattéo's a bit of a diva, with a Temperamental personality, but I can tolerate that if he keeps doing his job well. Everyone else in our staff has a more positive personality.

Another well-rounded coach, Oversier oversees the coaching of attacking skills. I'll occasionally let him handle a team talk, when I feel like the team needs to hear from someone besides Strikwerda, Wouters, or me.

Last but not least is the dean of our staff, Koning. His 16 caps earn him the respect of our players, although he has very little time or use for youngsters. He primarily works with our players on ball control.

We're still assembling our B team and Under 19 coaching staffs, so I'll introduce you to them in time.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 10-13-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote