View Single Post
Old 11-06-2020, 03:53 PM   #17
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

An update:

The kids discovered the club we put together was an absolute juggernaut. After six rounds of league play, our 2-2 draw with Heracles on the opening weekend was the only blemish on our record. Since then, Winterhoven went 5-0-0, scoring 22 goals and conceding 2.

It admittedly wasn't hard to assemble a team that would run roughshod over the Eredivisie, given Ajax's financial resources. As a result, we all got somewhat bored with the game. I was a bit surprised at the kids' reaction. They often think it's fun to completely dominate a game. This time, however, they decided they wanted a greater challenge. Claire put it very well when she said, "It's really only fun to win when you feel like the other team had a chance. Otherwise, winning is really only doing what you were supposed to do, like a chore."

We all still wanted to take on a project like this. They've been having fun playing such prominent roles in "Dad's game," and I've been having a blast myself. So we decided to reboot the AFC Winterhoven project, with a different set of parameters.

We're still using Football Manager 2018, and we're still creating a Dutch team with an emphasis on its youth system. We're using AZ Alkmaar as our model club this time, which means we start with less than half as much money to build our club. It also means we have Ajax to contend with in the Eredivisie, and while I'm sure we'll pick some Ajax players for our bespoke team, they'll still be a formidable foe.

We could have chosen a club with even fewer resources and made the challenge even more difficult at the beginning, but we decided we wanted to be able to mount an immediate, serious challenge in the Eredivisie.

The "fake names" function will be featured again, too. Blake, my goalkeeping son, has been watching the Eredivisie enough that he could cherrypick the most talented Dutch youngsters with ease if he saw their names on a list. He admits it will be more difficult if he has to recognize their "fake" selves.

Beth has already sketched her ideas for the Winterhoven kit. Navy will again be featured prominently on the home shirt, with a clean white look for the away strip. She and Blake are currently disagreeing over the goalkeepers' kit.

Once we've picked our team, I'll be back to introduce them to you.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote