View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #22
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Winterhoven Under 19s

Now, let's meet our Under 19 team. By the way, all the star ratings you've seen come to us from my Assistant Manager, the capable Dennis Lammers. Dennis rates 15 for both Judging Player Ability and Judging Player Potential, so he's got a discerning eye for talent.

We deliberately left spaces on our U19 team so we will have room for the lads who will graduate from our youth program in the spring. Quite a few Grey Ghosts still populate our U19 team.

Goalkeeper
We have only one "real" 'keeper, but he's a very good one. De Boer is probably better than either of the goalkeepers at Yong Winterhoven, but since they are too old for the U19 side, de Boer has the number one shirt here. Our staff think he'll be as good as Arie de Jong one day. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play for Holland this season.

Backs
There are two natural left backs here; both are talented and very, very raw. Somers and van Ommeren have promise, but neither of them look like they'll develop into the kind of all-action full backs I want to use. Perhaps they will prove me wrong, and even if they don't, they might bring in some cash in the transfer market.

Van Hoogdalem is another story. Described by the media as an "enthusiastic centre back," he's actually capable of playing all along the defensive line. Like most teenagers, he lacks strength, and he'll never have great pace, but he ticks the rest of the boxes.

Right back van Duren is another exciting prospect. He's a hard worker who gives his all for the shirt, and he is an above-average athlete. Jasper made a fine showing in three preseason games with the senior team, setting up a goal with a nifty cross.

The remaining defender is probably closer to first-team status than any of his Under 19 teammates. If Bakker weren't only 16, I'd probably have him at Jong Winterhoven already. He can play on the left side or in the middle of defense, and his skill set is very complete for a teenager. Keep an eye on this one.

Midfielders
Fleet-footed left winger Heijberg is the man to watch here. He likes to carry the ball, and he has the technical skill to do good things with it. His Professional personality will help him optimize his talents, too.

De Jong isn't far behind Heijberg, and he might have even more potential. He is best as an attacking central midfielder, where his exceptional vision and precocious passing ability are on full display.

I'm rooting for de Jonge to make it, too. His similarities to de Jong don't stop with his name, but he's not quite as polished a player and he lacks Melvin's searing pace.

Forwards
From the northern Italian town of Bovolone comes our most talented young attacker, Caridi. Like most players his age, Matteo will need to get stronger, but once he does, he'll be ready to lead the line for any club in Europe. The rest of his skills are well on their way to that standard.

Van Dijck is also a very promising prospect. Already 6'6", he has the makings of an old-fashioned number nine, strong and brave and absolutely deadly in the air. We usually play with a single striker, but we also train a 4-4-2, and a van Dijck-Caridi pairing could be a devastating "big-little" combination.

Final Thoughts
Most of the team's brightest young things are still at this level. Of course, there's no guarantee all of them will reach their potential. We do have Excellent training facilities, however, and we're assembling a quality coaching staff. And the lads themselves have positive personalities, hard working and dedicated. For those reasons, I think the future looks very bright.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote