View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #849
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Not sure about whether it's important to send an asst. and head coach to premier recruits. Lots of questions.

Haven't enjoyed failing at a game so much as I am this one.
I try to max out as much as possible on the guys I'm targeting, and ditch them quickly if I've offered them a scholarship and am still behind at least 2 schools - heck, even 1 school if it's clearly superior to me (although if I haven't offered a scholly yet I like to leave a player being offered by only 1 big-time school on my call list because from time to time that team switches away for no apparent reason and you're the only school left the kid has interest in). Maybe it's a bit gamey, but I usually enjoy building up a team rather than continuing a dynasty once I've built it to the top, so I don't have much experience with a good BCS school (closest I use is good old UMass). The foreigner route is also not as bad as it used to be, but often still easier to grab better players than your school deserves. It also might not hurt to start with more coaching points - I'm not suggesting you max out your guy, but if you're starting as a Level 0 coach at a BCS school you're behind the 8-ball already, especially because for me at least the first 3-4 years before I can start getting recruits in are the toughest.

Transfer-wise the only ones I have gotten were when I had UMass coming off a 2nd national title in 5 years and brought in 2 green bar potentials. I think I was coming off 4-5 players declaring for the draft (and must have been at least 2), which does bring up the minor annoyance of players no longer declaring in November, so even though you know stud #1 is going pro, you can't offer his scholarship until there's no one in the top 700 left on the board. I can see why Brian does it either way though, so I just work around it as best as possible.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-11-2011 at 07:31 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote