View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #177
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Lanier Aquatics Winter Invite - Gainesville, Ga, 11/30 - 12/2

Below are the results of Brett's meet. I have to admit, I can't comment in detail on his immediate reactions after his races, because he didn't sit with me during the meet. I could only see the expressions on his face and body language...

This event was a split into preliminaries that were held each morning and then A finals for the top 8 times and B finals for 9-16...were swum about 5 hours later...

Day 1

50 Free - Started off the meet, and for the second straight time he hasn't improved on this race. He posted a time in the same general area of his personal best 34.38 with a 35.04, but he didn't seem happy. He is working hard in improving his free kick and I know he feels he should be faster at this point.

100 Fly - Brett's fly has been improving dramatically at practice. His coaches have been telling him for weeks that he's getting so much stronger at this stroke and that they could see him being a really strong butterflyer by the time he's fully grown. I believe this reinforcement was instrumental in the fact that he didn't get too uptight prior to this race. He entered with a personal best time of 1:43.86...he finished with a time of 1:35.82...a huge improvement a personal best and it earned him a spot in the B finals later that evening.

50 Breast - Brett's breast looked strong as he really worked hard through the stroke. He was a little quick to come out of his pullouts, but he posted a 39.50, bettering his personal best by .32, and earning a spot in the A final...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Day 1 - FINALS

100 Fly - Didn't expect much here. As the two session schedule really takes a lot out of kids and especially smaller kids like Brett...However, he attacked the 100 fly again, and he not only posted another good time, he posted another personal best, and he didn't just improve on the personal best from the morning, he destroyed that time finishing with a 1:31.56

50 Breast - Brett's breast suffered from the morning session as he posted a time of 40.47. He was disappointed, but the coach told him not to worry about it. That he was tired and needed to go home and get some rest, and that he had gotten off to a great start.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 2

100 Breast - Came in with a personal best of 1:28.60, finished with a time of 1:26.92 and was 6th overall, earning a spot in the A final

100 Free - looks good early, really fades late. Finishes with a 1:16.33, about .4 slower than he personal best...

100 IM - With his improved fly and back, I keep expecting a big drop here...and his fly and back looked strong in this race. His year round personal best in this event was a 1:29.71...(though he's been much faster in Summer League)...and he posted a 1:25.99 in this race for another personal best. Unfortunately, he was only an alternate for the B final....

Day 2 - FINALS

100 Breast - The efforts of the last two days really came down on Brett hard. He swam well, and in fact, was pretty much in the same relationship during the race with the kids that finished around him in preliminaries, but he was slower (as were all the other kids in his heat) and he posted a time of 1:29.43, well off of his morning time.

All the coaches were extremely complementary of Brett...and they keep encouraging him to work hard and assuring him that once he grows he'll be beating most of the kids that are currently faster than he is because they are bigger and stronger...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote