View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #183
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

South Pole Meet Results

Bailey

Day 1

200 Free - This was the first time Bailey swam the 200 Free since being released from restrictions due to the shoulder injury. Her best time coming in wasn't her seed time of 2:52.54, but it was 2:50.82 swum in January of 2012, so I expected an improvement, and I got one. She posted a personal best time of 2:44.23. She looked good but I think she conserved her energy a bit too much...here are her splits:

41.37 (1:19.57)
43.47 (2:03.04)
41.19 (2:44.23)

I think she'll be able to improve on this one next time she swims it (more on that later)...

100 IM - it was way back in Februrary the last time Bailey swam a 100 IM in a year round event, so she was able to improve again, posting a personal best time of 1:22.96. Her fly looked very strong but a poor dive...way too deep, ended up costing her some time. The splits...

Fly/Back - 38.67 (10th fastest opening 50)
Breast/Free - 44.29 (4th fastest closting 50)...a bit surprising given I felt she'd falter due to fatigue and her breast isn't in peak form right now.

50 Fly - Bailey's fly, while different from what it was with regards to technique is once again looking really strong. She improved on her personal best time by almost a second and a half posting a 36.57.

100 Breast - swimming is such a funny sport, especially for growing kids. One day they can really have a stroke going well and then a month later that stroke is so far off you're amazed...that's the case here. In November she sway a great 1:34.77, this time she managed just a 1:37.36. Something isn't quite right, so I'm sure there will be some tweaking taking place in practice for the next couple of weeks. I will say after watching the video, her breat in the IM was much stronger than her 100 breast (may have been trying to hard, which cost her in form)

Day 2

100 Free - This time Bailey's freestyle from the very beginning looked strong. The dominating kick was back, and her pull was significantly better. She got in a good body position and moved well through the water. Fatigue did catch her here, as she opened with a 33.54 (4th at the turn), and closed with a 38.17, ended up 7th...and the back half split was 8th...final time was 1:11.71 (the strength of this swim leads me to believe there is more speed for her in this stroke if she can maintain her form.

50 Breast - after talking with the coach on day 1, Bailey tried to clean up her stroke a bit. It still wasn't sharp, but the body position was good and the effort was there. She managed a personal best 44.35.

100 Fly - Bailey was very concerned about swimming this for the first time. She started off good, but she ended up swallowing water and she stopped. However, after catching her breath the started off again and nearly won her heat, posting a time of 1:26.91, losing by only .6 of a second. To futher explain how well Bailey swam her, the girl she nearly beat in her heat finished 2nd overall, and the girl that won the event was actually 11 (she turned 11 on the second day of the meet, giving her the right to swim as a 10 year old). Had she not stopped, she would have probably finished with around a 1:24.xx time, or better (though to get started in fly from the middle of the pool with no momentum). Unfortunately, the time doesn't count as she was DQed for stopping...

200 IM - following the problem in the 100 fly, Bailey was concerned about this race as well. But the fly leg went good, and from there she was solid...here are the splits

Fly - 38.40 (5th)
Back - 45.71 (1:27.82) (6th)
Brst - 51.57 (2:15.68) (4th)
Free - 39.09 (2:54.77) (4th)

Overall she finished 5th...

So 8 swims, 6 personal bests, 1 decline, and 1 DQ...

Last edited by Breeze : 12-18-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote