View Single Post
Old 09-18-2016, 11:31 AM   #502
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Paris Masters, Third Round

** Shreya Ujjaval was matched up with Bourdet. I didn't expect him to win, but I was surprised that he got blown out, winning only two games. With that, the last of the long-shots is unceremoniously finished.
** Pierce Gaskell stayed alive with a 6-3, 7-6(3) win over Andre Herrera that wasn't that close.
** Davide Poilblan and Prakash Mooljee contested what was, on paper at least, the match of the round of 16. If Mooljee won it would eliminate Poilblan ... otherwhise Prakash would be at some risk of not making it. It was a roller-coaster of a match with both players going through hot and cold streaks. The first few games, Mooljee looked better but couldn't break through. He lost the last four games of the first set ... and the first four of the second before almost losing that lead at the end. In the decisive third, Poilblan had almost all the pressure going his way, but Mooljee pulled out hold after hold until finally cracking at the end. Poilblan gets a 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 win in a match with great effort from both players. This leaves Mooljee still in at the moment, but unable to do anything but wait and see what happens.
** Agustin Herrera made an upset bid against Gustavo Caratti, but fell short 4-6, 6-3, 6-4. This probably was his best shot at making the tour finals -- he's not getting any better at this point but could possibly make another run at it next year.
** Bjorn Benda was crushed by Iglar, 6-2, 6-0. In this case it's just a matter of the luck of the draw. I had Benda out of it months ago before he got himself back in contention, but ultimately the veteran falls short here.

Tomorrow

Going into the quarterfinals there are now three left chasing the two remaining spots. Mooljee is in unless both Poilblan and Gaskell win -- in that case they'll make it and he is out. If both lose, Gaskell is the odd man out, as my calculations have him just 5 points behind Poilblan, 3525 to 3220. Can't get much closer than that. So one way or another, this will be decided in the next round.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-18-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote