View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 04:10 PM   #867
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

More interesting news from the life and times of Sushant Chiba. We at Roland Garros in the schedule, and while the clay season didn't start well for him - QF at Monte Carlo, embarrassing third-round loss at Madrid - it has improved. Made the final at Rome, coming up just short in a third-set TB against Molyneaux. Heading into the SF, Chiba has guaranteed himself to surpass Prince Karl 'First of His Name' Kaspar for the first time and get back to #2 in the world. Kaspar suffered an early loss in the round of 16, and I've been hovering just behind him for months. Karl may have 12 more Masters than Sushant (19-7), 3 WTF crowns to my 0, and double the Slam count (8-4), but my prediction that I could surpass him for a time late-career is finally coming to fruition when it seemed it wouldn't.

And that's not all. Next up is defending champion and world #1 John Hart. Hart holds a 12-8 edge in the H2H, but in two meetings on clay Chiba has won both times. The last one was a Rome SF this year, a gross travesty of a match in which Chiba won all his BP, scattered 8 of 11 chances against, and basically performed highway robbery to win in three sets. If he can muster up another win against the pride of Ireland on this larger stage and claim a second RG title against whoever comes out of the other side - won here three years ago - he would be less than 600 points out of the top spot when next week's rankings come out. There's a chance, albeit not a very good one, that he could somehow find his way to #1 in the world before the sun sets on his time in tennis.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote