View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #35
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Some quick hits...
  • Gathered a bunch more leaves and grass Sunday evening from around the 'hood, adding to both piles and also turned both on October 8th.
  • I wonder if I haven't been watering the piles enough. Temps were in the mid to upper 140s in both piles yesterday, but then it rained some in the evening, and both were in the upper 150s. One spot even measured 165!
  • My soil samples arrived in Raleigh on 10/4. Haven't heard anything yet.
  • Bird netting appears to be working. I've gotten two solid harvests of cherry and grape tomatoes (picking every other day,) and finally got a larger one to ripen without being pecked.

Pics taken this morning...

1. The accidental tomatoes (this is about 6 plants) are continuing to grow well. I'm going to put some stakes and and a cage in the area and see if we can get a harvest out of these before it gets too cold.

Dropbox - maters_growing.jpg

2. The large broccoli plant is starting to look like something:

Dropbox - broc.jpg

3. I don't recall if I mentioned this, but mid-summer, a rodent took a bite out of one of my watermelons. I never picked it up off the ground, and another plant has grown from it. Kinda fun.

Dropbox - watermelon.jpg