Thread: White Privilege
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 10:35 PM   #6
Atocep
Coordinator

FWIW I think it's a valid question and worthy of discussion.

Quote:
Privilege - a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group

At no point does that infer that it's an opportunity you seize or that it's something you're responsible for. It can be an inherent advantage you have over others.

The thing about white privilege is I'd say most people don't realize when it happens because they're not aware of what others go through. People feel that their experience is similar to everyone's and those that are sharing a similar experience in life must be doing something wrong.

You (not you as in you but collectively) get pulled over, are polite to the cop, and get away with a warning. You see a black person in the news that was pulled over and things escalated and assume he must have done something wrong or didn't follow the officers directions.

We now see on a regular basis videos of people being harassed in stores and restaurants because since they're not speaking English they must be here illegally. When is the last time a white person, despite the language they speak, was in the same situation?

To sum it up, I think there's a lot of ignorance when it comes to the social, economic, and educational advantages there can be with being white.

Last edited by Atocep : 07-27-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote