Thread: White Privilege
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 11:01 PM   #10
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
So is it a cultural thing? I watched the video and get the concept. But when does a person put on there boots and work for privilege? Is the head start that gross that blacks dont have a chance? Or is it their culture that drags them down. In the video it talks about 2 parent households and father figures? Where are the black males? Is it a justice system that is unbalanced? But I think that is more an economic thing as opposed to a race thing.

Wealth is the symptom. Not the problem. It's an education and opportunity thing that trickles into a wealth thing.

Quote:
America based on making your own way and succeeding because of your hard work?

Wealth, education, and opportunity in the US is largely based on your parents and grandparents doing well. There are opportunities that can arise for others, but luck plays a much larger role in success in those situations than hard work. My grandmother was one of the hardest working people I've known and she struggled financially the last 30 years of her life because my grandfather died in a car accident and left her as an uneducated housewife.

Quote:
Other races have succeeded in this country despite terrible odds (Japanese for example).

ISiddiqui pretty much covered this.

Quote:
I understand that some races have a leg up. But I assume that is true everywhere. why is it white privilege?

Look at the definition above. If you have a leg up just by being born then you have some form of privilege.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote