View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 03:58 AM   #231
Suicane75
Coordinator

1968 Season

April- We go 17-8, 1 game behind the Giants.

Julian Javier broke his jaw mid month and will miss 4 weeks.

Danny Lazar is really struggling, as is the back end of our pen, but I'll give them all time. Brooks Robinson & Johnny Briggs are really struggling. In fact, only Yaz is producing much.

May- We have a strong May and stand at 35-18 with a 2.5 game lead on the Giants. The pitching is starting to right itself and the lineup came around somewhat, McCovey in a big way.

June- We have a monster June despite some injuries and finish it 59-24 with a 10.5 game lead on the Giants. Fred Klagas missed 3 weeks with a blister issue. Johnny Briggs done messed his knee up and will miss a month. When Klagas returns he takes Danny Lazars spot in the rotation as Dave Roberts, who was subbing for Klagas, has pitched great.

July- We end July 73-35 with a 8.5 game lead on the Giants. Near the end of the month McCovey breaks his wrist and will miss about 3-4 weeks. The staff has been much better, Dave Roberts 4.06 ERA is over a run higher than anyone elses and we give his spot to Danny Lazar who just has a better pedigree and is worth giving another shot to. Brooks Robinson is having a super shitty season and making me regret paying him .10 cents let alone tens of thousands of dollars.

August- Ouch. On August 10th we lose Mota and Robinson for about five weeks each. Mota to a shoulder issue and Robinson to a broken wrist. We still end the month 91-44 with an 11.5 game lead.

I decide to to try and wrap up the guys hitting arbitration at years end. Fred Klages signs for 7 years at $120K per, it pushes us further over bottom line but I don't want to keep dealing off pitchers. We sign Paul Blair for 5 years, Bert Campaneris for 6 years and Dennis Musgraves for 6 years all at pretty reasonable numbers.

September- We end the year 112-50 and win the division by 17 games over the Giants. We'll play the 93-69 Yankees who won a hotly contested AL by 2 games over the Orioles & Angels, 4 games over the White Sox and 5 games over the Red Sox. Now that's a pennant chase.

Julian Javier with 198 hits was 3rd in baseball, Yaz with 195 was 5th. McCoveys 112 RBI was good for 6th. Yaz led baseball with 117 runs scored.

Tommy John at 2.01, Jenkins at 2.23 and Klagas at 2.37 were 1st, 2nd and 5th in the league in ERA. Jenkins 228 K's put him in the top 10 and Tommy John tied Nolan Ryan for the league lead in Wins with 23 while Jenkins 19 tied him for 6th.

The Yankees team we'll meet in the world series is pretty much the same team from two years ago. Niekro, Tiant, Ortega & Peterson. Don Dillard slugging in the heart of the order, rookie Darrell Evans is their 3B and 1B Tony Perez is on the team now.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 07-13-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote