View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #53
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Today was a big day for HS football in Georgia ... the release of the first-ever "Power Rankings", which will determine playoff teams in Class A under the new split public/private bracket scheme.

They're being computed under contract by MaxPreps, who will provide the absolutely official information every Wednesday.

It took less than a half hour for the first errors to be spotted by fans, took about 90 minutes for the GHSA to pull them down for correction.

So far we've found:
-- a class AA team with a scrimmage erroneously counted as an actual game, that screwed up the SOS component for a class A team
-- schedule discrepancies for at least 3 teams compared to the "OFFICIAL" schedules released by the GHSA. That same team that had their scrimmage counted by MaxPreps is actually shown by the GHSA as having 11 regular season games (the limit is 10), and would have played 12 regular season games if the scrimmage had actually been included too.

Combined with a thorough lack of understanding on the part of the public about how these "ratings" work both in general (they're expressed as an average, not YTD) and in detail (like the point limit on what can be earned vs opponents playing non-region schedules; i.e. not playoff eligible) ... it's all a very predictable clusterfuck.