View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #83
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The local paper sums up most of the highlights for this week.

Athens Academy (4-0) scored its first touchdown on a 25-yard pass from Austin Schulte to Eric Williams midway through the first quarter, and Williams scored again with 8:01 before halftime on a 76-yard punt return. Williams also recorded an interception in the first half. We added another score the 3rd with a 4 yard run by our QB, gave up a TD late and won 21-6. That's the highlights.

The lowlights were quite a few. A 100% completely meaningless game (see up the thread for rule change that means this game counted not one iota in the standings nor the power ratings that determine playoff berths), we lose a DL/LB to a broken leg + broken ankle that I really don't want to describe in any detail. Suffice to say that I'm told the ankle was completely separated from the shin bone. Discovering that the ambulance & crew had left the stadium at halftime was something I've seen happen only a couple of times in my life (so a half hour or more passes before we can get that agonized young man out of there for treatment. And the asshole opponent + idiot refs tried to restart the game with the ambulance still on the field, our stands erupted with enough of a furious roar that the officials realized their mistake & sent the teams off once again.

It's a hell hole of an excuse for a stadium (8 yard end zones) and although I've criss-crossed the for football state several times in my life, it's the only recently constructed "press box" I've come across that was built without a single inch of space intended for the media. Add in some of the rudest, most ignorant, most thoroughly unlikable people I've come across in many years & it's just a miserable experience all the way round.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-29-2012 at 12:22 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote