View Single Post
Old 04-09-2021, 06:30 PM   #2
MIJB#19
Coordinator

To me, PD% isn't a good metric to judge your individual defensive players. If your star CB 'allows' a 10-yard catch on 3rd and 15, it will be bad for his own and the team's PD%, it will also be bad for gross pass defense numbers, but it was still a good play because he made a crucial tackle. Your star CB actually allowed the catch because of his skills, not in spite of. Same applies when the offense had a good play. One of your defenders will have to be at the spot to make the tackle and as a result forced to 'allow' a catch (and more than average times it will be your star CB). We really have no way to tell whether the CB made a bad play or did the best he could do: not commit PI on a perfect throw, but do make the tackle to keep a deep thrown completed pass from turning into a high YAC play.

So, all I care about is having the right bars for the right coverage called for that player's position in the called package/formation. You can still make the wrong defensive play call and get burned, or just run into a better offense (as equally talented offense will beat the defense), but I care about getting my defensive players in their best spot and the other way around to get the best players on roster in the right roles.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote